Chapter 12

Lizzie rubbed her neck, trying to ease the strain caused from bending over Pa most of the night. She tried to persuade Emma to eat something. But her sister was as worried as she. As she tidied up, she watched Holt caring for Pa. The man wasn't the least bit awkward at playing nurse. Oh, how she took comfort from his strength and encouragement. The night had been interminably long and lonesome.

She handed him some tea that he paused only a moment to down. 

"I've been trying since you got here to express my gratitude to you," she murmured. "But the words don't ever seem like enough. I don't know what I would have done without you," she murmured. Heat crept up her neck and stung her cheeks. 

His grin was fleeting. "Perhaps God sent me here to help you. You ever think of that?" 

She didn't answer, but she smiled to acknowledge the kindness of the thought. 

A little later...or was it a great deal later...she reached over and took the cloth from him. "There's soup and sandwiches ready. Go eat while I tend to him."

Holt hesitated then went to the table. He sat across from Emma. "Where's Miss Ellen?" 

Lizzie wondered if he'd have any more success diverting Emma than she had. 

"Still in bed," the girl answered. 

"Bet she's tired of being there." 

Emma sighed loudly. "She's a doll." 

"Yesterday she was your best friend. How would you like it if your best friend forgot about you?" 

Lizzie watched Emma consider Holt's words. 

"I wouldn't like it." She scrambled from her chair and up the ladder so fast Lizzie feared for her safety. 

"Emma, slow down." 

But Emma practically slid down the ladder, Miss Ellen tucked under her arm. She returned to the table and sat Miss Ellen beside her plate. "There you go. I didn't forget you. Not for a minute." 

Lizzie looked to Holt. He watched her. She couldn't pull her eyes away. Didn't want to, finding warmth and comfort in his eyes. The air between them seemed to shift and shimmer. She drank long and hard from the silent promises he offered before she turned back to care for Pa. 

"If only his fever would break," she murmured. 

Emma clutched her doll to her chest. "Miss Ellen is worried." 

Holt scooped Emma into his arms and brought her to Lizzie's side. "You aren't alone." 

Lizzie nodded. Holt was here; his presence helped her find courage. 

"God is with us. Let's ask Him to heal your pa." Holt bowed his head. Emma followed his example, as did Lizzie after a moment, struck by the deep assurance of Holt's faith. Holt prayed for Pa to get better. And for them to know how to help. 

But hours later his condition didn't improve and Pa grew steadily weaker.