Chapter 20

"Emma, go ask Pa if he can come here." She didn't want to go into the store and see the men who were after Holt. 

Emma went to the door and called Pa. 

"I'll be right there," he answered. 

When he came in, she handed him the letter. "Read this." 

He did so, frowning. "Your aunt has suggested that she come before. I'm just not sure about it." 

"Pa, don't you see? If she's here I can go find Holt." 

Pa studied her a long time. "You know she's looking for marriage?" 

"But it isn't a given. She can rent a room over at Miss Sachel's. She can take care of the house and Emma while you're in the store." 

Pa considered her suggestion. She could see he struggled with the idea of another woman in his home. She hoped he would understand how this would free her to be with Holt. 

Finally Pa nodded. "You can write her and say she's welcome." 

But by the time she did all of that... She wasn't the fastest rider in the world. She'd never catch him. "Pa, can I send someone after Holt?" 

"Don't think you'd have much chance of overtaking him." 

"I have to try." 

He reluctantly gave his agreement. She grabbed her coat and rushed toward the livery barn, praying she'd find a good horse and rider. 

She stepped inside, waited for her eyes to adjust to the dim interior, located the owner in the far corner and made her request. 

"If you're looking to find me, you don't need to go to all that bother."

She spun around at the sound of Holt's voice. She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. 

He pulled her close and kissed her nose. "I decided I am not going to ride away from what we have." 

"But those men..." 

"Your pa said I should trust God's justice and I'm going to." 

Fear clawed up her throat. Trusting God was fine when it didn't mean Holt's life. "You could hang." 

"I intend to clear my name or die trying." 

"It's the die trying part that worries me." 

"Are they still at the store?" She told him that they were. He took her hand and led her up the street. Oh God, help us.

The two strangers jolted upright as Holt stepped inside. 

"You're a hard man to find," the taller one said. 

Holt stood so relaxed and casual she might have thought he was visiting his brother. "I'm ready to go back." 

"No need. That's why we're here. The boss discovered cows were still disappearing even after you left. Turns out his own son was stealing them. You're a free man." 

Holt whooped. "Justice shall prevail." He grabbed Lizzie's hand and drew her into the living quarters, sweeping her into his arms once they were alone. 

"I love you, Lizzie." 

She managed to say "I love you, too, Holt," before he kissed her. 

"Say that you'll marry me. Promise me?" 

Lizzie smiled and nodded. "I promise." 

THE END