chapter 12

Half of Normani's birthday group is coming off stage and cooling down from a hyper performance of Wannabe by the Spice Girls when their food arrives and the waitress asks about grabbing them a second round of drinks. Lauren is the first to get in on another round, requesting a long island iced tea, and as the night progresses her drink count rises as well. Camila stops at the first drink and maintains her sobriety despite how truly awful some of the karaoke singers from other tables prove themselves to be.

When Lauren's turn comes around Camila worries about her girlfriend's ability to stand, but she demonstrates the true extent of her alcohol tolerance when she manages to sing through Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams without a flaw. If Ally Hernandez was clueless to sharing an evening in the same building as Lauren Jauregui before, she definitely figured it out after her ex-girlfriend turned the restaurant nearly silent with her strong, husky vocals. By the time Lauren returns to her seat other patrons, strangers are clapping and Camila is left speechless.

"Damn, I'd hate to follow that," Normani tells Lauren, breaking the ice as the next person on the list gets up on stage and waits for their song's lyrics to load onto the screen.

Lauren shrugs before shaking her glass, observing the ice cubes swirling around between what little liquid is left. She waits for the next opportunity to order a drink as she drowns out the current singer and attempts to be subtle about checking Ally's table. Camila sees what direction Lauren shifts her head and tries to redirect her attention by placing a hand on her thigh. It has the intended effect.

"Do you think she's prettier than me?" Camila whispers into Lauren's ear once she has turned around to face her again, her hand unmoving.

"No," Lauren answers almost instantly, a sign she doesn't need to give it a second thought.

"Then why are your eyes over there," Camila wonders while pointing to Ally's table, "when my face is over here."

"Because sometimes beauty fades the longer you linger on it."

"I'm not sure I follow," Camila confesses.

"Look at it this way. If you stare at one thing too long, asking too many questions, the appeal dissipates as your confusion and frustration from attempting to explain it grows. You can't replicate what it was like to be captivated that first time until you've been deprived of the image long enough to forget the details," Lauren explains.

"Has anyone ever told you you're a lunatic when you're drunk?" Camila accuses with a smirk.

"If they had would I remember?" Lauren challenges.

"I surrender. You get the point this round, Jauregui."

Dinah takes their focus away from each other when she slides a full glass of an unknown beverage in front of them.

"You love birds can share. This round is on me," she announces.

Lauren takes a gulp without hesitation.

"It's a tequila sunrise. Do you want some?" Lauren offers while holding out the glass toward Camila.

"No thanks," Camila replies, although torn between wanting to keep herself sober and avoiding Lauren getting more intoxicated, the latter already showing signs of being a lost cause.

The next time the waitress comes around Lauren has excused herself to the restroom, so Camila takes the opportunity to request for them to transfer Lauren's tab to her card and close them out. She also asks for a pitcher of water and is pouring Lauren a glass when she comes back.

"Yo Lauren, you gonna let your girl cut you off like that?" Dinah teases in a voice obnoxiously louder than normal when she sees the water set out in front of them.