chapter 29

"Camz, I think we should take a break," Lauren insists, nudging her girlfriend gently as they are sitting side-by-side, backs against the headboard of the beach house bed they're sharing for the long weekend, laptops perched on their legs.

"Just give me like ten more minutes and we can go outside," Camila responds without taking her eyes off the single cover artwork she's tweaking for Painted Turtles.

"That's what you said an hour ago," Lauren reminds her with a skeptical stare.

Camila takes a deep breath as she saves her progress then closes her laptop.

"You're right. I'm sorry. How about I make it up to you? For the rest of the day you have my undivided attention," Camila promises before slipping out of bed and walking toward the dresser where her travel bag is resting on top.

She is busy digging for her bikini bottoms when she notices Lauren exiting the room from the corner of her eye, causing her to pause the search and look up. Lauren is carrying both their laptops in her arms and this raises her suspicions.

"Where are you going with those?"

"In case you're tempted later, be ready for some hide n seek," Lauren replies mischievously, managing to leave the room before Camila can protest.

Camila lets Lauren go, knowing she will probably end up thanking her. In the meantime she finds the other half of her bathing suit and finishes changing just before Lauren returns to their room.

"On second thought, maybe we should stay inside," Lauren suggests with a smirk after pausing in the doorway to admire her girlfriend's beach attire.

"Uh uh, nice try. You've been begging me to go out all morning and now my heart's set on it."

"But I was so naive back then..."

"Like five minutes ago?" Camila responds with an eye roll while grabbing Lauren's backpack and walking it over to her, knowing it has her beach supplies inside. "I think we will both benefit from some Vitamin D."

"I'd prefer to OD on some Vitamin C," Lauren offers smoothly before leaning forward to capture her girlfriend's lips, cutting off an audible groan from Camila following the joke.

"You'll have to come outside if you want anymore of either one," Camila announces after they pull apart and she steps around Lauren so she has a clear path out of the room.

"I'll get dressed and meet you in a few," Lauren agrees, unzipping the backpack Camila brought her to take out her swimwear and demonstrate she's prepared to go.

After a couple hours out on the beach, including laying out in the sun, bodysurfing in the waves, and getting their butts kicked playing sand volleyball against Dinah and Carter, the foursome returns to their cabin together. Carter puts dinner on the grill as the others take seats around a small table that sits in the shade of the porch.

"I am so out of shape," Camila laments while rubbing one of her sore shoulders.

"I thought Lauren woulda worked you out enough by now," Dinah teases.

Lauren chuckles as she watches Camila give her best friend a death glare.

"Don't worry, babe. I love your body just the way it is," Lauren reassures her, adding a wink for good measure.

"I think she knows judging by the way you were staring at it all day," Carter cuts in from his placement below them on the lawn.

Soon after he feels a plastic fork hit the back of his head before it falls to the ground behind him.

"I heard no lies," Dinah replies, defending her boyfriend.

"I guess I'll be feeding someone's dinner to the squirrels tonight," Carter threatens afterward in response to the attack.

"That's all right. Camila will share hers," Lauren states confidently.

Camila shakes her head vigorously.

"All that exercise has given me the appetite of a baby elephant. If you tick off the chef, you're on your own."

The banter between friends continues up until and through when they eat dinner together. Afterward they set up a movie in the living room, both couples claiming a couch for maximum cuddle action. Lauren notices Camila drifting off halfway through the movie, so she shakes her gently.

"Let's get you to bed before I end up having to carry you," Lauren insists.

Camila groans in return, her eyes remaining closed.

"Come on, sleepyhead. If you don't get up I'm gonna take the bed all to myself tonight."

Camila takes her time lifting her head from Lauren's shoulder and standing herself upright.

Lauren stands beside her girlfriend and wraps an arm around her waist before they begin to walk out of the living room, supporting her frame in case she stumbles in her groggy state.

Dinah throws some popcorn at them on the way out.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," she teases with a wink.

Camila removes herself from Lauren's embrace once they enter their bedroom, closing and locking the door behind them. Before she can really register what is happening, Camila has Lauren backed up all the way to their bed and presses on her shoulders to ease her into a sitting position on the edge of it. She lifts Lauren's chin and bends down to give her a soft kiss on the lips before pulling away with a smirk.

"I thought you were tired," Lauren accuses curiously.

Camila shakes her head before lifting her t-shirt over her head and reaching behind her back to untie her bikini top.

"I was ready to get into bed, but not to sleep," she explains with desire in her eyes.

Lauren stares up at her now-topless girlfriend, hardly believing her luck.

"Have I told you enough times today how much I appreciate your body?"

"Yes, now quit telling me and come show me," Camila demands as she strips off her last piece of clothing and eyes Lauren expectantly.

"Don't have to ask me twice."

AN: Next chapter is the last chapter. Thanks for reading.