Chapter one

Lawrence Kansas
Winter, 1996

High School, the supposedly best 4 years of your school career. Full of cliches, drama, and teen romance.

Kids are more worried about who's banging who over when homework is due.

At lunch, gossip spreads like wildfire. It's worse than the tabloids.

But for the past few weeks, gossip had died down, replaced by the excitement of the upcoming prom.

Everyone already had their date, even if they are a month early. Cas, on the other hand, hadn't a single idea on who her date should be.

"You could always come with me and Matt," her older sister, Gabby, suggested. Cas sighed, looking up from her history book.

"Then I would be the third wheel,"

Gabby shrugs, "So?"

"You can always be my date," Meg adds, earning an eye roll from Cas.

"I thought you were going with Ian,"

"Oh, that man-slut? Nuh-uh, he slept with Brianna the slut." She sticks her tongue out in disgust.

"What about that one boy, Dean? You remember him?"

"He moved away 5 years ago Gabby," Cas sighs.

"You loved him, didn't you?" Meg teases, earning a second eye roll.

"I was 11 years old Meg, I don't think I 'loved' him. Besides, he was just my friend."

"Just a friend huh? Well, then why do you always wear that silly bird necklace then? Didn't he give it to you?" Meg continued.

"It's a beautiful necklace, I have every right to wear it."

"Doesn't he have one similar to your's?" Gabby asked.

"He did, he probably threw it away or has it tucked in a drawer," sadness crept into Cas' heart. A small part of her hoped that he still wore his.

"Well, guys aren't into that kind of crap anyways."

"True,"

"Don't worry Cas, we will find you a date,"

Later that night, Cas lie in bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Yeah, she missed him. She had always missed him.

Why wouldn't she? She basically grew up with him. He was like an older brother to her.

She could never forget about what he had done for her many years ago.