Strange

Chapter 6

A week after Mari was released from the hospital, Sohinki had still not come back to work. Wes was worried about him, but he tried not to show it. The other Smosh Games members tried as hard as they could to get back to a normal schedule after releasing a detailed video about the events that had transpired in the past month. Mari had a bit of a tough time getting around on her crutches, but it made the Game Bangs that much funnier.

The nightmares had vanished.

Whatever medication they had put Mari on was working beautifully, and the nightmares had all but disappeared. She hadn't woken up in the middle of the night in weeks, which greatly improved her mood.

Mari was actually happy for the first time in months.

Still, she couldn't help but worry about Sohinki. The last that they had heard from him was an email telling them that he was visiting some family in upstate New York and not to worry about him. But Mari could have sworn that she had seen his car in the driveway driving by his apartment on her way to work yesterday.

Finally, after the group finished taping for the day, Mari pulled Wes aside, out of earshot of the others.

"Wes, have you heard anything from Matt?" she whispered. Wes sadly shook his head.

"Trust me, you'll be the first to know if I do," he reassured her, then quietly slipped into his office to edit.

Mari decided it was time to take matters into her own hands, and slipped out of the building unnoticed. She got into her Mitsubishi and made the fifteen minute drive to Matt's apartment. Sure enough, there was his car. But the place was completely dark. She shrugged, then shut her car door and knocked softly on his door.

"Matt? Are you in there? I really need to see you..." she trailed off. "Look, I know you're not visiting family. That's your car in the driveway. And I know something's bothering you, and I think we need to get you help, Matt," she continued. She heard a few footsteps inside, then they abruptly stopped and the apartment was silent again.

"Matt, please open the door... I need you, Matt," Mari tearfully begged him. Finally, slowly but surely, she heard the chain come off the door and it opened to reveal a very ragged-looking Matt Sohinki. He simply stared at her with cold eyes.

"Matt, please talk to me. What's wrong?" Mari whispered. Sohinki shook his head.

"Mari, I need you to go away and leave me alone. I can't do this right now. This whole thing was a mistake," Sohinki replied harshly. He winced slightly as hurt and shock registered on Mari's face, but she quickly regained her composure.

"Matt, what are you talking about?" Mari begged, confused as ever. Sohinki opened the door wider and looked her straight in the eyes.

"I can't see you anymore. I don't want to see you anymore. Please, just go away and leave me alone. Tell Smosh I resign. I'm done."

Mari finally understood and narrowed her eyes. "What, you're saying this was all a big mistake? Or were you just screwing with me?" She was obviously hurt.

Sohinki couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth, but he knew it had to be done. He took a minute to unknot his throat that had effectively closed off at the sight of tears in Mari's beautiful brown eyes.

"Enough, Mari. Go away. Please," Sohinki finally closed the door, but not before seeing her dissolve into angry, confused sobs. He sank down beside the door.

Mari continued to pound on the door. "What the HELL, Matt? Explain what the hell you're talking about! You can't just...do this! I don't understand!" she yelled. Tears fell from Sohinki's red-rimmed eyes, but he stayed quiet. Finally, the banging went away, and Sohinki got enough balance to stagger into his room, where he stayed for the rest of the day.

* * *

Mari exploded into the Smosh Games studio, making Wes and Ian jump. She quickly turned her head so they wouldn't see that she was crying, but she wasn't fast enough.

"Mari? Mari, what happened?" Wes cried, racing to her side as Ian followed. She shook her head and sobbed, unable to form a coherent sentence. Wes and Ian looked at each other, panic in their eyes. When Mari's tears finally subsided, she lifted her chin to the two boys.

"We're through. He quit Smosh. And he quit me. He never meant it, anyway. It was all a big joke to him," she exclaimed angrily. Ian's eyes widened as Mari stomped off into the spare bedroom.

"What the hell..." Ian began, then stopped when he saw Wes's face. Wes had turned very pale. "Wes?"

Wes turned to meet Ian's gaze. "I think something is really wrong with Sohinki."

* * *

Ian's silver BMW finally pulled into Sohinki's driveway. He and Wes turned to look at each other.

"I'll go," Wes murmured. Ian nodded and put the car in park. Wes opened his car door and approached Sohinki's apartment. Instead of knocking, though, he lifted the welcome mat and got out the spare key. He unlocked Sohinki's door and stepped into the apartment.

There was no sign of Sohinki. The countertops were littered with trash and papers, and the floor was covered in what looked to be Sohinki's entire closet. Wes looked in every bedroom, bathroom, cabinet, and closet, but Sohinki was nowhere to be seen. It had began to rain outside, so Wes grabbed one of Sohinki's umbrellas and headed back out to the car.

"He's not there," Wes panted to Ian. Ian's eyes widened and he nodded.

"Where...do you think he is?" Ian whispered, fear seeping though every corner of his body. Wes shook his head, giving no answer. Then, suddenly, his eyes flew open and he grabbed his phone. He typed in an address and placed the phone on the dashboard. He grabbed Ian's arm.

"Drive."