1

Worn down wood with spidery veins of alternating tones blanketed the counter

Worn down wood with spidery veins of alternating tones blanketed the counter. Boredly tracing a fingertip along the patterns, I puffed out a sigh.

Normally, there would be an abundance of customers milling around the tiny general store, but today was an exception.

Taking in the deserted shop, I stopped my slight movements and leaned away from the counter. A stream of country twang played softly over the speakers, the only thing keeping me company in this moment besides the note under the counter saying to keep everything in check until seven.

Letting my mind wander, I began to think of possibly being able to close the store early. Heidi was at a friend's house tonight, and had abandoned me around four to drive her way over. Mom and dad were also gone, having taken the night off for a date to the movie theater.

In all fairness, if I wanted to close up shop, I only had ten minutes before closing. And being the only one left in charge, I had every right to lock 'em doors.

I smiled at this.

I was still smiling before I heard the slight chime of the bell as the front door swung shut.

Craning to see above the aisles, my eyes collided with very dark ones. They suddenly shined with a mysterious glint, and as I watched those appealing lips curl up into a dangerous grin, only one thing completely registered in my mind.

I wasn't closing up shop just yet.