Just Hanging

Chapter 22

Just hanging

I'm being shaken. "Carter, wake up!" 

"Huh? What?" I mumble. 

I feel something heavy land on me, and I flip onto my back. Suddenly I'm staring up at Miley, and to restrain myself from touching her, I shove my hands under my pillow.  

"Oh hi there." I smile. 

"Want to play a game?" She asks me, pulling something out from behind her back. 

"I don't know, this seems awfully close to one of those Saw movies." I joke with a sly grin. I notice the game in her hands is a game called Sorry. 

She throws one of my pillows on my face. "Shut up." 

I reach out and throw my arms around her waist and push myself into her so she falls onto the bed and I'm sitting on her. I hear the board game clatter to the floor as I lean down to kiss her. 

She puts a finger to my lips. "I thought we were going to play a board game." She removes her finger and kisses me. 

I groan and flip onto the bed next to her. "Fine." I role off the bed and sit on the floor and start setting up the game. "C'mon." 

Miley flops onto the floor with me. "I want to be blue!" She says grabbing the blue pawns from me.

"Fine, I'll be green." I say grabbing the green pawns and setting them up. 

It's been awhile since I've played this game. We used to play it every Saturday for Family Night, but that habit broke when the family did. Clyde and I tried to keep playing, but it just wasn't the same. 

Miley and I play the game for hours. Sometimes we would quietly bicker about how unfair the other was being, others we would just laugh and attack the other with tickles or something similar. Clyde heard us and had to come tell us to keep it down or dad would hear and that wouldn't be good. 

After awhile, Clyde comes back and he's carrying a plate of chocolate chip. He plops on the floor with us and watches for a bit, before he joins in. We the plate of cookies around until they are gone, a couple get shoved in someones face at one point, but no feelings were hurt. 

Suddenly Miley's phone is buzzing. 

"Excuse me." She huffs and walks out onto my balcony. 

"Clyde what time is it?" I ask with a yawn. 

He pulls his phone out of his pocket. "It's like two a.m."

I sigh and fall back, so I'm laying on the floor. "I think Miley has to go." 

"People do need to sleep you know."

"Ssh, people don't need sleep!" I laugh sarcastically. 

Miley walks back in then. "I have to go, I forgot about this thing I had to go to. So I need to go be there so people know I care enough to show up where I'm needed." She rolls her eyes. 

I get up off the floor. "Oh, okay. I'll see you soon?" 

Miley hugs and kisses my cheek. "I hope so." She turns and leaves. 

When I turn back to my room, Clyde is gone. I sigh and fall into bed and apparently I'm tired because I quickly fall asleep.