Chapter Thirty-four. Robbie.

This chapter is for Cupcake, to celebrate the occasion of her 16th Birthday.  Happy birthday Cupcake,  I hope you enjoy it.

Sang crept quietly down the stairs of her Grandparent's place very early the day after they had arrived at long last in Massachusetts. No one else was awake and she really wanted to look around by herself.  She was very happy to share her memories with her family, but she wanted to look at it all herself first.  Just to get her head around everything. 

Turning left at the stairs she walked into the library and gazed happily at all the shelves filled with books. She had to remember to thank Mr and Mrs D for organising all the furniture to go back in here she thought. 

Even the old sideboard had its bowls and trinkets in the right places, and the photo frames on Grampa's desk were in the right order too, she thought to herself, sitting in her old blue chair near the front window and gazing reminiscently around.

After satisfying herself that everything was as she remembered, Sang then practically bounced into the kitchen and gazed happily out the large window overlooking the back garden. Her eyes lit up remembering the fun times she had had with Grammy and Grampa.

Knowing everyone was still sleeping Sang crept quietly out the back door in her sleep shorts and top. She'd be back before anyone else woke up, she thought to herself. She just wanted to explore a little by herself. She had had enough drama to last a lifetime, and she didn't need anyone seeing her if she got a little emotional over nothing in particular.

Sitting on the grass and looking down at the fish pond they had built all those years ago, Sang heard a faint noise past the dull red brick fence hiding her Grampa's old vegetable patch. Rising slowly to stand silently Sang heard a faint clinking sound again. Eyes narrowing, she realised it was still too early to wake anyone. Besides, it was probably a neighbourhood cat or something. What could go wrong if I just take a little peek? She asked herself, before she took a running jump and quietly pulled herself up onto the top of the fence.

Sang quickly gained her balance and shading her eyes from the early morning glare of the sun she looked around quickly before spotting a man working in the vegetable patch. Sang blinked and then grinned to herself before jumping down and creeping up behind the man. "Good morning Robbie, are you having fun?" She burst out, before giggling when the tall man stiffened suddenly before spinning around and staring down at her.

"Little Rose!" The  man called Robbie exclaimed, blinking once before throwing down his spade and holding out his arms.

"How'd you know it was me Robbie?" Sang grinned, before giving a quick hug to her Grampa's old student and stepping back. She still wasn't completely comfortable with anyone much, and it had been years since she had seen him after all.

Robbie's face split into a smile "Well, Rosie. You know you're the only person who could ever sneak up on me in here, and you always asked me if I was having fun," he said, his speech slow and correct. "Besides, Mr Drummond let me know you were coming to visit." Robbie looked around carefully "I thought your friends were coming with you?" He asked looking slightly confused.

"They're all still asleep Robbie. Would you like to meet them? We can have breakfast all together a bit later." She asked kindly.

Robbie thought the offer over carefully. "Aw, little Rose. I'm not really keen on meeting people without warning. You know that. I like everything planned." He said in his slow manner of speaking.

Sang smiled gently. "That's okay, Robbie. Maybe another time," she said before changing the subject as she spotted the strawberry patch. "Do you have any spare strawberries?" she asked hopefully.