Chapter 9: Grey Area

a/n: another update yayyy!! suddenly had a flash of writing energy with this one. hope this chap's not too confusing!! lots of love to anyone reading :)

Seven years earlier

When Vincent walked into the room he didn't immediately understand what was happening.

"Vinny- get out of here-" said Mom, but she didn't move her head to look at him. She was sat straight on the sofa, one hand on each knee and vision fixed forward. "Go and look after your sister, Vinny-"

Vincent shook his head, stumbled forward like the foolish little child he was.

"What's happening?" he demanded, voice unsure. Because surely there was something wrong, with Mom sat like that, with Dad looking at her so intently, expression tight as he sat in an armchair pulled up opposite her.

"Everything's fine, Vinny, I promise, now go, please just-"

Her sentence ended abruptly and her mouth closed, and Dad reached forward to clasp Mom's hands in his. Leant forward like that Vincent couldn't see his face anymore but Vincent knew that something bad was happening- maybe Mom was ill, suddenly-

"Dad- Dad do we need an ambulance? What's wrong with Mom?"

He ran forward, attempted to put his hands on Mom's arms, to turn her round. She didn't move and Dad didn't reply, but her eyes were still wide open, a dark blue almost purple colour.

"Today I was beaten for the first time ever," said Dad quietly. He was still just staring at Mom, and Vincent didn't know who he was talking to. "The Blaze beat me, and do you know why that was? Because I've been so weak, Vera, I've let love rule me- I've let you live so long- even though I knew I should use you, I always knew- I need to use you, Vera, if I want to get stronger. There's only a few people I could take powers from, we both know that. Love or blood, V, it's" – he was crying, Vincent could see him, tears rolling down his cheeks like he was a child and not Vincent's dad. "Love or blood," he whispered.

And then he was placing a gentle hand on each of Mom's cheeks and Vincent cried,

"What are you doing?", trying to wrestle Dad's arms away, but Dad just flicked his arm and threw Vincent to the floor like a swatted fly.

"I love you," Dad was saying brokenly. "I'm sorry, V. I-" – he took a breath – "give me your powers, please."

Vincent struggled up from the floor just in time to see a purple light seep from Mom's fingers, from her eyes and ears, tendrilling into Dad like cordial into water.

"Mom!" yelled Vincent. The light grew until he was forced to close his eyes, shield his face- and when he looked back up the room was dim again but there were light spots juddering across his vision. And then there was Dad- slumped forward with his arms around Mom, holding her like he hadn't just- hadn't just-

"Mom," Vincent whimpered, coming forward and putting his hands out, shaking her arm. Her face was visible over Dad's shoulder, not held up straight anymore but with her head leant back on the sofa. Vincent had started crying without even realising and then her eyes opened, slow and full of tears. She smiled, gentle, and he saw her hand twitch like she was trying to reach out for him. He grasped it like an anchor.

"Vinny," she said softly. "I love you. Look after- protect your-"

She didn't finish her sentence but it didn't matter. Vincent knew what she meant.