Part 2 - I

Were red eyes with little comma-things in them even possible? 

Apparently, they were.

Since I was so stubborn to return to my Village, Kabuto and I decided to slowly inform Orochimaru about me staying. First, I would just stay in hiding while Kabuto would hint vaguely about me being there to Orochimaru. Second, I would show myself to a guy named Sasuke—the strange quiet, black haired one with the red eyes. Then lastly, if Orochimaru somehow didn’t know of me being there already (which I highly doubted) I would show myself to him as well. Kabuto said he didn’t want me to follow him like he was, which I didn’t understand. If Kabuto didn’t want me to follow Orochimaru, then why was he? Anyway, he said that when I showed myself to Orochimaru, I had to be extremely respectful in my speech and tell him I wouldn’t say anything to a soul and that I’d practically be hanging in the hideout the entire time. If that didn’t convince him to let me stay, then I didn’t know what. Though, Kabuto said he’d be there to vouch for me if need be. He was so helpful.

And there I was, in front of the Sasuke guy. He just looked at me with those strange eyes as if he’d seen a million of me. I just raised an eyebrow and turned to Kabuto who was standing behind me. He nodded reassuringly at me as he stepped further in the room.

“Sasuke, this is Kei. She’s going to be staying with us from today forward.” Kabuto began. Sasuke didn’t reply. All he did was examine me like he couldn’t be bothered with this whole scheme. Like he’d rather be doing something else. Although, he was just sitting in his extremely dark room, doing who knew what.

I bowed to him respectfully, “I hope we get along.” Might as well have a good first impression on him—even if it was some weird darkness-liking guy. I know, you should never judge a book by its cover. Who knows? He could’ve been the greatest ninja this world had ever seen and if I got on his bad side, it’d be good night for me.

He shut his red eyes and scoffed at me, “Just as long as you don’t get in my way.” With that, he got up and walked past me, not even giving me a second glance. I just stared him down the hallway, blinking with confusion. Me thinks he’d been sitting in the darkness too long—he didn’t seem to know how to hold a conversation to save his life.

“Don’t worry about him; he’s always like that.” Kabuto chuckled a bit. I turned back to him, questioning a ton of things about this Sasuke.

“Why is he here, anyway? Is he like you and he is in league with Orochimaru?” I asked. Kabuto glanced down at the floor, seeming to decide whether or not to tell me. How was my question that personal? It was just mild curiosity. Besides, if I was staying here with him, why shouldn’t I know? I’d know eventually.

“I... guess you could say that.” Kabuto scratched the back of his head.

“What’s up with his eyes? They were... different.” I said, deciding to go with ‘different’ rather than ‘strange’ or ‘freaky’. That would be rude; even if he wasn’t around.

“Oh, that. He has the Sharingan.” Kabuto answered. I racked my brain to find out where I heard that name before. I always had my nose caught in a botany book that I barely heard the teacher until they took my book away from me. Maybe it was during one of those times when I was so entranced in a book that I didn’t hear it.

Then it came to me.

The Sharingan was a special ocular jutsu that only a clan called the... You-Are-Cheap-a or something like that had. As for its properties... well, I had no idea to be honest. All I knew was that it made your eyes a really creepy red color and told you about grammar with those commas in the iris. Well, maybe I could ask Kabuto about it later.