0001

E. | chapter one

"You know, it's estimated that one of those," I pointed an accusing finger at the cigarette dangling between her lips. "Lowers your life by eleven minutes."

Adrianna turned to look at me and nodded, the cigarette still situated between her lips. Truthfully, confusion hit me due to her action but when I looked at her eyes, I understand the situation a bit.

"Upset?" She gave me a sad smile before taking out the cigarette and crushing it under her heel. I watched as it turned to pieces under her pressure.

"A bit." Adrianna admitted, carefully wiping the tears from her eyes. "But it's nothing worth messing up makeup for." She laughed as she walked over to me.

"You've only been working here for a week, don't tell me the job has gotten to you already." I teased, as we walked back into the building. Gordon had sent me out to look for her, he said he needed her for something.

She shook her head as I held the door open for her. "Of course not." I pointed her towards the direction Gordon was and she nodded. "Thank you, Eddy."

"Eddy?" I questioned, causing her to stop in her tracks and look back at me. She nodded and flashed me a smile.

"Have you never been called a nickname before?" Adrianna asked me, cocking an eyebrow at me in confusion.

"Not friendly ones." I answered, honestly, as I held my folders tighter. If only she knew. "I appreciate it."

Just as she was about to speak, Gordon called her name out and told her to hurry. "Duty calls." She waved and hurried over to them.

I stood in place for a few seconds, watching as the only friendly person I knew at the moment left. Sighing, I fixed the folder back up and headed towards the evidence room.