Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Wyatt was happy that Craig had returned when he made it back to the barn. He didn't want Jeb or Gill to know that he had the man tied up in the shack but Craig could help him get the answers he needed and decide whether or not to let the man go on his way.

Craig grinned as Wyatt ran up to him. 'I have to show you something' Wyatt mouthed.

"What is it?" Craig asked. "You look about as excited as a dog with a new bone."

'I got a man....' Wyatt began, happy that Craig was fluent in lip reading. It made it easier to have a conversation when Wyatt wasn't having to write down most of it.

Craig chuckled. "You do? I didn't know you were like Jeb but it does explain a few things."

Wyatt rolled his eyes and glared. He was like Jeb. If he were to ever fall in love, which he didn't anticipate happening, it would be with a man. Wyatt had never told anyone that, however. He figured there were enough things about him that made him different. He couldn't speak, he was mistrustful, overprotective and he had an overpowering fear of going to town alone. He didn't need to add one more thing to that list.

"Sorry." Craig ran his hand through his hair. "Continue."

'I found a man. I tied him up. He's at the shack.'

Craig's eyes widened. "You tied someone up?! Where did you find him? Did you tell Jeb?"

'NO!' Wyatt shook his head forcefully to emphasize his unspoken word. 'I need you to help me figure out if he's dangerous.'

"Well if he wasn't a danger before, he probably will be now that you've tied him up and made him good and mad."

Wyatt grabbed Craig's shirt sleeve and gave him a tug. Craig nodded. "Alright. Alright. Let me saddle a horse and we'll go have a chat with the man in the shack."

***

"Wyatt there is no man in the shack."

Wyatt ignored his friend's statement of the obvious and stormed to the now empty cot. He picked up the discarded rope and studied it closely. It had been cut but by what? Wyatt had checked the man for weapons and removed them! The man was gone, the horse was gone and the sack of weapons was gone.

Had the stranger had a partner riding with him that Wyatt hadn't seen? Panic began to bubble in his chest. His family was in danger! He had to know where the stranger had gone!

"Wyatt, settle down," Craig scolded gently. "Did the man say why he was riding through?"

Wyatt paced the shack, his hands clutching his shot gun. He shook his head. Craig sighed. "Did he act like he wanted to hurt any of us?"

Wyatt glared at Craig a moment before shaking his head with defeat. Craig nodded. "Then I'm sure he was just passing through and you overreacted. You've got to quit acting like that, Wyatt. You've always been protective but ever since...." Craig's voice broke and he cleared his throat as he looked away. "Ever since he died you've gotten worse. It's making us all crazy."

Wyatt felt as if Craig had just punched him in the gut. He swallowed hard and holstered his gun as his shoulders slumped. Craig simply went to the door. "I'm gonna head out. I might be gone a few days so don't worry about me."

Wyatt slumped down hard in the cot once Craig had ridden away. His heart ached. He didn't know how to fix whatever was wrong. He and Craig had always been best friends but lately it seemed they hardly knew one another.