Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Wyatt was standing in line behind an elderly lady purchasing fabrics. Gill had sent him to the mercantile while he'd gone down to the apothecary to get the medicine they'd ordered for Preston. Wyatt had to give the store clerk the long list of supplies Gill and Jeb needed and help load up what was on hand.

He was smiling and tapping his finger on his thighs, feeling a bit better about things now that he'd had his worry about the stranger taken care of. Zachariah didn't pose a threat and for that, Wyatt was grateful. His family had had enough threats.

A chill ran down his spine and Wyatt's fingers still instantly. In his peripheral vision, Wyatt saw the five men enter the mercantile. They were sneering, chuckling and nudging one another as they approached him. Why did men like them always seem to find him?

He'd known they'd been watching him since he'd come into town but he'd hoped that watching and chuckling from a distance was all they'd do... apparently his hopes were pointless.

"What ya doin' there, little negro?" the man who appeared to be ringleader of the group drawled.

Wyatt simply kept his gaze straight forward and did his best to ignore them. The store clerk cleared his throat while the elderly woman gathered up her supplies and quickly made her exit.

"Can I help you, Wyatt?" Edgar Thompson asked from behind the counter.

Wyatt nodded and fished the supply list from his pocket before laying it on the counter. "What's the matter, negro?" the ringleader cackled. "Cat got your tongue? We saw you outside gesturing and such with your negro friend. Did your mama drop you on your head as a child and rattle your brain?"

"I don't want any trouble, gentleman," Edgar warned. "Why don't you get what you came in here for and leave?"

The ringleader spat on the wooden floorboards while the others chuckled. "I came in here to teach a negro his place. He ain't got no right to be walking around town in broad daylight."

Wyatt bristled but said nothing. He wasn't afraid of fighting back but what was the point? He tapped the list to get Edgar's attention and then pointed to the watch hooked to his belt.

"Okay. I'll see about getting these things from the back. You gonna be okay, Wyatt?"

Wyatt nodded and the ringleaders arm was suddenly around his shoulders. "He'll be just fine."

Wyatt waved Edgar away and the man hesitantly walked through the door to the supply room, shaking his head as he went. "I got a problem with the way you look, negro," Gus stated once the older man was gone.

Wyatt pulled away from the man and glared at him. 'Leave me alone.'

The ringleader laughed. "What was that? Speak up, boy!" He shoved Wyatt hard. "I think a cat may have his tongue."

Wyatt had had enough. He had been shoved around enough in his life and nothing got under his skin quicker. Without warning, he swung his arm hard and caught the ringleader sharply in the jaw.

The man stumbled back, anger flashed in his blue eyes and he snarled. "Hold him boys!"

Wyatt attempted to fight but two of the men rushed forward and grabbed his arms. Wyatt found himself unable to move as he glared at the man with blood dripping from his split lip.

"I'm about to kill me a negro," he snapped, pulling a knife from his belt. "I hate negros."

"What about injuns, Gus?" a familiar voice asked. "How do you feel about us?"