Blind-Hearted

Written sometime before 2010. Can I say that I was depressed as a kid? I think my writing mind knew before I was actually diagnosed. You can see why I say this once you read. Sad to say, my child-writing is kind of hilarious. I'm re-reading these as I go, too. It's been awhile.

The mattress her mother slept on was beginning to bother her. Her mother tossed over and onto the floor. She didn't land on anything – which meant her daughter was up and about or even sleepwalking.

Her mother didn't think about her daughter wandering around the plain, shadowy, and pink tinted home. Her senses were dimmed by the sleeplessness in her body.

"Betty-Sue," she mumbled, before she closed her eyes and nodded off. Her daughter, unknown to her, was watching her. Her silver and magenta colored eyes were flicking across the room like a silent predator looking for prey. Her eyes finally rested on her finally asleep mother.

She inched closer to her mother, listening to the contented sighs of sleep. She didn't want to leave, and she wanted her mother to know that. Betty-Sue inched closer to her sleeping mother and the bed. The neighbor's cat watched her through the window.

"Shoo!" she called at it. The cat leapt into the room instead. "Shoo!" she insisted, "Shoo! Shoo!" The cat licked its paws and stared at the girl in front of her with silver and magenta eyes. The cat backed up, and looking behind itself, leapt up and out of the room once more.

Betty-Sue turned her attention to her mother. She hadn't stirred. Betty-Sue saw the night sky begin to lighten, and realize she couldn't say goodbye. Betty-Sue picked up her black cloak from the floor and tossed over her shoulders.

"I love you," Betty-Sue whispered into her mother's ear. "I will always love you no matter what." She let the tears off her face drip onto her mother's. Hopefully her mother would see the letter she so carefully wrote and placed in on the wall with a nail through it. With that, she crept out the door and into the frosty night.

Dear Mom,

I love you so much, but I just cannot stay anymore. I hope to join the forces (the military) like Bernie, Ernie, and Simon. I hope you're proud of me. Sorry, I can't stop crying. . . I love you with all of my heart. I would keep writing forever and ever if I could, but I need to get going. I hope you feel alright. You kept falling onto the floor. You might be a little sore but that should pass. I love you so much, and I hope to see you again.

Love,

Betty-Sue

P.S. I'm only doing this because I got contact with Bernie. He still...

He passed. I'm so sorry. Please don't kill yourself. With love, Betty-Sue

Chapter 2: Powers

"Kamakara, is that you?" Joanna asked, surprised, "I haven't seen you since the war!" Joanna held back her tears and greeted her long lost friend.

"You look..." Pioa began.

"Skinny, fabulous!" Victoria finished, jumping through the crowd with wide eyes. She danced around the girl and cheered for Kamakara like a cheer-leader.

Kamakara acted ashamed and looked away. "What's wrong?" asked Jenna, her best friend. Kamakara began to cry, but still she looked away. She asked for no comfort.

"Girls, we should leave her alone. Let's go to the game room. Kamakara, when you're ready, we'll be in the game room or our rooms." Said Jennifer.

"Jenna," Kamakara sobbed back. "You can stay, right? The other girls won't mind if you stay-y with me wi-ill they?"

Jenna looked back at the girls and nodded. As if on cue, the girls rushed out towards the Military building for women and talked amongst each other. When they were out of view and could no longer be heard, Jenna looked back at Kamakara, who'd stopped crying. She was now lying on the grass, fingering the grass blades in-between her fingers.

"So..." Jenna began. She sat down beside Kamakara and rubbed her back. Kamakara looked down at the grass and pulled a strand out. Then she rested her head against Jenna's legs.

"Jenna," said Kamakara, fully calm now. "I just wanted to tell you why... I'm so upset." Kamakara finally lifted her head up and stared into Jenna's eyes. Jenna was startled by what she saw. Whitish blue. No, no!

"I'm so sorry!" Jenna cried. "Are you... blind?" Kamakara began to sob again and Jenna cried herself.

"I'm so, so sorry! I didn't know, I'm sorry!" Jenna began to say. "Was it that war we went through?" Jenna asked. Kamakara nodded, then slowed her crying. She tried to curl up against Jenna, but she didn't have enough room because of a tree standing tall in firm soil.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cry." Kamakara finally said.

"That's all right, it's just... Why'd you hide it?" Jenna finally asked.

"I didn't want them to make fun of me." Kamakara whispered. She closed her eyes in a long silence that felt like forever.

"I can't believe he blinded me." Kamakara finally said. She 'looked' at the trees on the outskirts of the camp. She clearly recalled the incident.

"Someone?" Jenna cried, "A person did it? And to you, of all people, blinding my best friend."

Kamakara sighed and whispered something. Jenna couldn't hear so she said, "What?"

Kamakara 'looked' downwards towards the ground, although she couldn't see it. She began to laugh, but she contained herself. Jenna looked at her fondly with questioning eyes.

"He's... Remember Abin?" Kamakara said. "Remember him?" She questioned holding back tears. She conveniently pulled out a tissue and blew her nose with it.

"Remember him?" she asked, again, the level of her voice rising with choked sobs. "Remember him?" she whispered. Clearly she hadn't got whatever was bothering her out of her system.

After a bit of a long pause, Jenna looked up from the ground and looked at Kamakara instead. She began to rub her back in hopes of making Kamakara spit out whatever she was trying to say, and calm down. She began to worry about her friend.

"Yes, I do remember. Why? We did help him you know." Jenna said.