Chapter Fifteen (Jeah)

I sit there, and close my eyes against the tree. My heart beat rings in my ears. I have a deprived feeling sitting deep in my stomach. I know I should feel pain, yet I feel perfectly fine.

I turned so that I was facing Cami, and I studied her. Staring into those innocent blue eyes, I found it impossible not to like her. In fact, she did save me.

"So," I tentatively began. "Thank you, for saving me."

"Oh, it was no problem, dear!" Cami blushed. "I am always ready for an emergency."

I leaned forward, "So you're a doctor of some sort?"

Cami hesitated, she avoided eye contact with me for a brief second. Then she looked up at me. "Let's talk more over tea. You look parched."

Before I could refuse, Cami was on her feet and rushing into the house. I began to panic. What if she left me here? My breathing quickened, and my eyes darted around, looking for someone

I had started to stand, when Cami had come back out with a tray. On the tray were china cups that rattled precariously. Soon, Cami had rushed over and sat down in front of me. I lower myself back to the ground awkwardly.

Cami held the tea pot and poured the dark liquid into two tea cups. She took one cup and reached over to hand it to me.

"Wait!" I exclaim suddenly.

"What is it?" Cami asked, surprised.

"I can't drink that!"

Cami tilted her head slightly as if it would help her to better understand me. "Why not?"

"Because" I started sheepishly. My voice grew quieter as I spoke. "The tea you made could have drugs in it!"

At this Cami recoiled, seeming offended. Then a grin made its way into her face. But the next thing that happened seemed to shock her more than it did me, she laughed. A genuine laugh filled the air around us. She threw her head back and continued to laugh loudly. I sit there and stare at this woman in fear and slight confusion.

Tears from laughing spring from her eyes, "First of all, if I wanted to poison you, I would have done it already. Secondly, why on earth would you think I'd poison you?"

I just sit there and stare at her, completely frozen.

Cami, breaks eye contact with me and picks up the tea pot. She gently pours more tea into the already full cup, trying to make a point. Then her eyes meet mine again as she lifts the tea cup to her lips. She tilts her head back and drinks the whole cup.

"Ah!" She sighs. Then she pauses before stroking her cheek with the back of her hand, saying, "Do I look pale Jeah?"

At this I smile then I speak again, "I'm sorry, it's just, I've learned not to trust many people."

"Me too Jeah. I can't trust anybody." She pauses and nods to me. "Except you, maybe?"

I nod back and pick up the warm cup in my hands, "You can trust me." I tilt my head back and let the warm liquid slide down my dry throat.

Cami grins at me, "I am glad for that." She sips at her warm tea.

"So, are you a doctor?"

Cami's smile is wiped away almost immediately. She is avoiding it , I think. But why? "No, but I wish I was. I would love to be in control, and have the simple power of helping others. I guess it was never meant to be." She looks at me and her eyes widen in embarrassing realization. "But I ramble..."

"What do you do?"

Cami pauses then sighs, "I am a babysitter for this family."

I take pity upon my new friend, "You don't like your job?"

"No!" Cami exclaims. "I love my job! I'm just not too thrilled about the family."

I blow on my freshly-poured tea. "Who's the family you work for?"

"Oh, just a father and his son, not a big family, but it is exhausting." Cami rubs her temples. "Especially for someone as young as I am."

I finish my tea and begin to pour another cup. "How old are you?" I mentally slapped myself. Jeah, NEVER ask a women that!

Cami was never fazed, "I'm almost thirty years old."

My mouth fell open in shock, but I closed it because I didn't want to insult my new friend. I studied the slight wrinkles forming and the deep sag in her posture, but yet I found the youth in her eyes. It was as if a curse had taken over her body, draining the youth from her bloodstream.

"Wow..." I murmured. "It really is a tough job, isn't it?"

Cami nods, "But hey, at least I have a roof over my head."

Home! I suddenly think. I gasped and guzzled the rest of my tea, "Cami, I just forgot!" I gently set the cup down on its saucer. "It's been a while, my family will be worrying about me."

Cami rose on her feet and held out a hand. I took it eagerly as I shakily rose to my feet.

Cami grins at me, "Come back soon Jeah."

"Don't worry," I said sadly, not wanting to leave. "I will be back." I began to walk towards my bike that was laid on the ground a couple feet away. My hands reached down and grabbed the bike. When the bike balanced upright, I mounted it.

"Cami?" I asked.

"Yes." Cami answered happily.

"Thanks." I waved and began to peddle away.

Cami waved back and wore a smile unlike the ones I've seen today. She watched me go down the sidewalk. I sighed, glad to have a real mom for just a moment.

Then I forced my eyes forward. My anxiety rose once again at the thought of facing my family once again. Taking a deep breath, I moved from the side-walk and onto the dirt trail.

The shadow of the fall trees loomed over me, only reminding me of the darkness ahead.

The trail went by in a blur of many colors. By my memory, I remembered the path. The wind whistled through my ears and became tangled in my hair.

All the events came back to me once again. I felt, as I came closer to my house, the oddness of it all. Right now, I am peddling into a world of fantasy.

As my home grew bigger in my field of vision, I could practically feel the lies that fill this place.

Remembering that the breaks on my bike broke, I shakily pulled my feet from the bike peddles. I didn't bother to drag my foot to stop sooner, I wanted to stall and create more time for myself.

Soon, the wind had slowed down around me. I took a shaky breath. Am I really this scared of facing my family?

"No Jeah," I said aloud. "They are your family." I sigh aloud, thinking back to how welcoming Cami was. She was funny, kind, and protective, just how a mother should be.

The bike had come to a complete halt at the foot of the porch steps. I dismounted my bike with little grace. With my foot I lazily kicked the kickstand in place. I nodded, feeling satisfied at the kickstand's placement.

As I turned away, I hear a crash. I look back over my shoulder to see that the bike now lays on its side. "Just my luck, " I sigh and pry my eyes away from the scene.

My feet creep up the stairs. I reach the door and jostled the door handle only to discover that it is locked. I try again, but the door doesn't budge. My breath quickens looking back to my worries. Chill out Jeah, what could possibly go wrong?

I never knew how much I'd live to regret those until after I knocked on the door.