chapter one

Taking one last glimpse into the mirror, I effortlessly tame my platinum fly-always into a ponytail. Slipping back on my apron and grabbing my name tag, I situate myself to go back to work at my family's restaurant. I was about to leave the bathroom that's in the back of the kitchen, but then I remembered one last thing. My hands twisted around my back to secure the brace that's between my shoulder blades. God knows that if that fell out of place..

I would be screwed.

"Hey Serina, there's two men here to see you!" I heard my mother yell from the other side of the kitchen. I quickly shut off the light and rushed into the main hub of the kitchen, of course doing so by ditching hot grease and frying pans.

"Did they say who?" I yelled back. I don't really have a lot of friends, concealing myself within my home is a thing I've grown to get accustomed to. I've never been the type to go to parties or date a lot of boys. I mean, my "special" abilities limit me by quite a lot. Hiding is honestly the only thing I can do.

"No, they're at table 7!" My mom yelled before rushing out of the kitchen with a couple of plates.  Grabbing my writing pad, I head out of the kitchen to go to table 7. Catching sight of where they're sitting, I could see the two men, both having brown hair and looking like they're not from around here. Both of them are actually very attractive, my only question is why did they ask for me? I've never seen them before, even in here, and everyone comes to my family's burger joint. I live in such a small town where everybody knows everybody, so having new people situate themselves is odd coming from around here. I walked towards the table and am now standing in their presence, catching both of their eyes to look up to me.

"How may I help you guys?" I said while putting my hands on my hips, glaring between the two men.. but mostly to the man on the right. His eccentric blue eyes were brightened by the day, and his carved out features were catching the shadows in the best way possible. His smile didn't falter either, returning my look of interest with a smirk.

"Wow, what a beautiful girl, but wouldn't it be more comfortable if you were to take your brace off?" The mysterious man said, the same guy I was ogling about just seconds before. How do they know about that? Panic flashed through my face, making my eyes widen and my mouth partially open. I quickly returned my features back to normal and shook my head, not wanting just my reaction to answer their invasive question.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said trying to cover myself. I know that's a lame excuse, being that whenever someone is trying to hide something, they say exactly those words; but no one can know who I am, or better yet, what I am. The man on the left then put two of his fingers on the side of his head and stared at me. All of a sudden a voice appeared in my head, clouding all of my thoughts.

"Don't worry, we're like you." I slightly gasped, my confusion causing my forehead to scrunch up while I nervously switched my gaze between the men. The man with the two fingers on the side of his head had one eyebrow up while smiling at me, the summers day almost reflecting on his facial features. This man's aura is kind and calm, leaving me to be relieved of some of the tension I've been holding in. I'm still cautious, I mean, who wouldn't? Two random guys walk in and specifically ask for me, and now they're intruding into my thoughts and unraveling my darkest revels.

"H-how did you do that?" I struggled to even get the question out.

"See Serina, my mutation allows me to telepathically enter and read your mind- Now your mutation, however, is much more stunning." The summers day man said in his caramel, British tone. He then lowered his hands away from his head, causing the voice inside my head to slowly dissipate.

"What do you guys want?" I questioned. Annoyance was almost about to seep through the cracks of my question, but I withheld it. Maybe if that man on the right didn't have his mesmerizing blue eyes, or maybe if the other man didn't have such a rich British accent, I would've allowed myself to be more forth coming. It's just something about these particular men. . .

"We are searching the world for.. people like us. We are partnered with the CIA in a new mutant division-" The British man on the left said before being interrupted by his colleague.

"We are trying to make humans understand that we aren't here to harm them, so they can learn more about us." I immediately took a step back.

"No, no, you guys can't be here, you need to leave. It was great talking to you and very invasive to realize you know so much about me, but I'm not trading in my apron for syringes. I won't become someone's lab rat." I quickly spat out the words, rushing to get both of the men up out of their seats and towards the door. To no avail, both of the men are much stronger than me and I only end up slightly shoving them out of place.

"No Ms. Grimm, that's the exact opposite of what we're doing. Me and Charles are trying to prevent that from ever happening, and in order to do that we need your help." Right now the man on the right is standing very close to me, the result of me trying to shove him and, I guess Charles, out. This man has now gotten a hold of both of my wrists, gently lowering them down to my sides, where before they were on his built chest. He spoke with sincerity and calmness, it mesmerized me to completely forget what I was trying to do.

"He's Charles, so you must be..?" I almost whispered.

"Erik." His voice sounded so soft and darkly mysterious, it caught me off guard. Or maybe it's because we are in such close proximity. Erik's eyes were starting to cloud darker and darker until we could hear Charles throat clear.

"Well if you're on board then I would like to get a bacon burger to-go please."

-----

First chapter! Tell me what you guys think of the story and don't forget to please favorite and comment. It means a lot.
With much love💖

-isabelle