Chapter Nine: Confession

Chapter 9

The next day, I woke up to the sound of Anthony and Nate’s arguing. I couldn’t make out what either of them was saying, nor was I trying to. I groaned in frustration as they got louder and louder.

“Shut up!” I finally said, tossing a pillow at Nate’s head. “Can’t you see I’m trying to sleep over here!?” Boys were so clueless all the time.

Nate’s eyebrow cocked up looking at me, “It’s almost noon.”

I sighed. I had to get up sometime. I glared at both of them and pulled the covers up.

“Good afternoon!” Lizzie said, walking in to the room now with a tray full of food. “My mom bought lunch if you guys want some,” She set it down on the table next to my bed and dished all the food out on to plates, giving us each a plate.

Today, her hair was a caramel color, curled in to a tight bun on her head, making her look like an elegant ballerina. She had sparkly eye shadow and light pink lip gloss as well.

Anthony’s wardrobe just consisted of different colored baseball caps, today being a black one. Nate was a nurse; so he was in scrubs every time I saw him.

“Thanks Lizzie!” Anthony was first to say.

We all chimed in after with thank you’s, and continued on eating. It was definitely not hospital food, thank goodness for that. I was getting tired of that stuff.

“Anthony, I brought you something too,” Lizzie said before digging in to a pink purse that was draped over her small shoulder. She retrieved a small card and handed it over to him.

Anthony eagerly took it in to his hands, and examined it over. When he fully read and understood what it was, a huge grin appeared on his face. “No way," he said, looking the card over again, "Where did you get this! How did you find this?" 

She shrugged, like it was no big deal. “My dad knows a few people.”

“What is it?” I asked, curious. Nate looked over Anthony’s shoulder to see what it was for himself too.

“It’s a limited edition baseball card. It’s not even available in stores anywhere anymore! It hasn't been on retail for almost eleven years now!” Anthony held it up in his hands, being extra careful not to bend or crease any of the edges. He got out his binder from under the bed and stuck it in one of the empty slots.

“Well, I have to go. I’m trying some new treatment today, so I will see you guys later,” Lizzie said before getting up and exiting the room.

“That was really nice of her," I commented to Anthony.

"She is awesome!" He replied with a smile.

"You two are the cutest friends ever," I replied.

Nate barked out sudden laughter before replying. “Only Anthony wishes they were a lot more than just friends.” 

Anthony flushed a bright red color in his pale cheeks. It was refreshing to see them any other color then a sickly-white or pale green. He stepped on Nate’s foot mustering up all his strength, which hadn’t been very much considering Nate didn’t even flinch. “Shut up, Nate! I do not!”

“Sure you don’t. You’re with her twenty four seven and when you’re not you constantly can’t stop talking about her!”

Nate looked over at me and laughed some more. They fought like brothers so much. It was comical to watch the scene in front of me play out. 

“Okay, fine. Maybe I do a little bit. But that’s none of your business.”

“I knew it! Why haven’t you made a move yet?” Nate said turning back to Anthony. If only Nate would listen to his own advice.