3. Van Helsing

It's Christmas Eve now and Anna is sad. It's her first Christmas without her parents and brother. There was a man brought in last night, but she never saw his face. She's in her room looking out the window at the falling snow. *I miss you, Mama. I miss you, Papa. And I especially miss you, Velken.* She thought then got bored. Anna stood up and went to find the mystery man from yesterday.

She finds some monks guarding a door. *That must be where they're keeping him.* She thought and waited until the monks were called to The Cardinal's office. She ran quietly over and opened the door. There was a young man that looked to be no mare than 25 years old laying on the bed. He had a stubble and long black hair. Curious, she walked over shutting the door behind her and shook him gently.

The man groaned and opened his eyes. Flipping over, he saw her staring at him curiously with her eyebrows furrowed. He sat up carefully as he had some bruised ribs. "Hello."

Anna was caught off guard when she heard his deep voice and looked up into his eyes. "Hi."

"You're awfully young. How old are you?"

"I'm five. My name's Princess Anna Marie Valerious."

"Princess?"

She nodded with a sad smile. "Princess of Transylvania. My mama sent me here a couple of days ago."

"Oh. I'm sorry." He said.

"It's ok." She replied climbing on the bed. "I'm just sad because this is my first Christmas without them. I miss them, you know?"

The man shook his head. "I'm afraid not."

"Why?"

"I don't remember anything except my name. Minus my first name that is."

"What's that?"

"Van Helsing."

"That's kind of silly." Anna said with a giggle.

He just shrugged. "It doesn't bother me much."

"I'm not making fun of it. I actually like it. I was just saying that it sounds silly." She explained.

"Really?"

She nodded. "Van Helsing."

Van laughed. "You're right, Princess. It does sound a bit silly. But I have to say, I like hearing you say it."

Anna blushed. "I think you and I are gonna be the best of friends, Mr. Van Helsing. I'll see you around?" She asked getting off the bed making her dark brown curls bounce.

"I'd like that." He replied and she smiled before leaving the room.