71

Luke: I'm here.

You: on my way out

I sit in the front seat of his car, and it smells like cologne and cigarettes. I didn't know he smoked, I don't like that. It's kind of a turn off for me, though I had never noticed a cigarette smell on Luke.

We pull on a street flooded with cars and people running across the road. I feel myself start to shake.

What if he ditches me?
I don't know anybody else here.

What if he gets drunk?
What if he's a mean drunk?

What if someone tries to talk to me?
I can barley say 3 words to new people without stuttering, I'll make a fool of myself.

"Do you really think that?" I jump at the voice and it's just Luke. I said all that out loud. I don't respond but get out of the car as soon as he stops.

Before we walk off Luke is holding my wrist, staring me in the eyes.

"I won't ditch you, I'm going to try not to get drunk but if I do I'm not a mean drunk, I'll be with you the whole time, you won't make a fool of yourself okay? You'll be fine, I'll be right beside you." He says. I nod not able to find words to say because nobody has every cared like that. He let's go of my wrist and we head inside the house.

It's loud and crowded. The music choice is some horrible rap music, which makes it worse. People push up against me an I lose sight of Luke and start to panic. People look at me funny but I ignore their stares and try to move out of the crowd but people think I'm trying to dance. Then I'm being dragged out of the sea of people by Luke, thank god.

"You're okay, you're okay." He repeats himself a couple times. I nod.

We continue to the kitchen where it's a little less crowded. Luke fills us both a cup of beer, I watch him pump the keg. Then fill our cups, he does a little dance as he walks back over to me making me smile.

"Did I tell you that you look good in that sweater?" He sorta yells close to my ear. I blush at the compliment.

"Thanks." I say shyly. He's about to say something else but 2 boys yell his name, one of them is Calum.

"Hold on babe I'll be right back." He says to me before walking over to the boys. He called me babe.

Unfortunately I can hear them.

"Why did you bring him?"

"Who is he? He's so skinny and what the fuck is on top of his head." I leave before I can hear anymore. I wipe my eyes and head for the back door. Some people are on the porch and I hurry to pass them and head across the yard to the street. I head the way we came. I was hardly ever on this side of town. I'm lost. I sit at the bus stop and hope buses are still running at this hour. We hadn't been at the party long. It was only 12am. The car ride here was the long part. I sit and wait, nothing comes. I check my phone and I see I have missed calls and text messages from Luke but I ignore them and check the time. 12:24am. I give up there must be no buses. I get up and start walking again, before I know it I'm in my old neighborhood. I decide to go visit my mom. I knock on the door since I didn't have my keys.

My moms light turns on and soon my moms standing at the door.

"Hi honey, why are you here?"

"I was at a party and I just needed to leave. Can I stay here tonight?"

"Don't be silly of course you can."

My mom wakes me up the next morning and we eat together and visit for awhile, then she drives me home. There on my doorstep sitting is Luke. I say goodbye to my mom as I get out of the car. I watch her pull away, then I turn around to face Luke.

"What the fuck Michael. I was worried about you all night! Didn't you get my calls and text?!?" I pick up the mat and get my key so I can unlock my door.

"Yeah I got them Luke." I shrug and unlock my door. I stand in the door way and turn around to face Luke, who was about to follow me inside but I don't let him.

"Then why didn't you answer? Why did you leave?"

"Listen I heard your friends last night, I'm a sensitive person, I get hurt easily. I just didn't want to hear it anymore."

"Mikey... I'm sorry they're douche bags. I was worried sick about you. You can't do that to me, I worry about you all the time."

"You worry about me? Luke you shouldn't worry about me, I'm fine."

"I like you Mikey..I'm always going to worry about you."

I don't respond, his expression turns to hurt. I like him but I'm scared to like him, I like him too much.

"It's fine, I figured you didn't feel the same way. I'll see you later."

Then he's gone.