12

Nicole swung herself into the usual seat she took and the bus began to move. It wasn't until then she noticed she had many texts waiting for her.

"What the hell did you tell people about me? About Mikey?" That was from Kat. All of them were from either Kat or her other friends.

"You little bitch I trusted you! Everyone knows Mikey got arrested!"

"Why the fuck did you tell the police Mikey did something!? He didn't do anything!"

"What the fuck did you tell the police?!"

"All of Mikey's friends are blaming me! I'm gonna beat your ass!"

And quite a few more. Nicole started to grow nervous.

She saw the bus pulling up to the drop off spot. She slowly walking into school, avoiding everything and everyone.

She got through the day by not talking to anyone. Little did she know, her friends were not talking to her either.

That is, until she decided to walk home that day. It wasn't a far walk, but Nicole got lazy in the mornings and just took the bus. Today, she didn't even get to the end of school property before realizing it was very cold and about to rain. Rolling her eyes, she turned around to go back to the buses.

Just as she did her 180, however, she saw the people she made friends with all with very different attitudes towards her.

With her stomach falling two stories, she realized what was about to happen if she didn't bolt. Now.

Her feet twisted and she started running away, but it wasn't fast enough for Jake. He grabbed her and threw her down. Just after, Kat - whom she had not seen in weeks - came over her and punched her. Multiple times.

"That's. What. You. Get!" she yelled, a word for each punch. When it seemed like Nicole was losing consciousness she got up.

What the hell happened?

After a couple of minutes, Nicole was able to stand. She waddled over to the nearest city bus stop and, luckily, the bus had just shown up.

The bus took her home, way later than usual, but she was fine with that. Her mother wasn't home, so why did it matter?

Well, it mattered because her mother was indeed home, following Elliot's words to ask for time off. Elliot was with her too, since Cragen thought she could use someone. And he knew all about Elliot's little crush on her.

When Nicole walked in the apartment, Elliot was in the kitchen and Olivia was on the couch, asleep. Elliot held a watchful eye on her, and barely registered Nicole walking in. Barely. He did, however, in the nick of time noticed her hair was ratty and she had locks of hair in her face as she turned to her room.

"Nic?"

Nicole pretended not to hear Elliot and walked to her room. When she entered, she closed the door and locked it. She could not let anyone find out what had happened.

As quickly as she could she found her brush and ripped at her hair until it was knotless enough. Her eye would soon be purple, as well as her nose, but her forehead was bleeding. She found a dark colored shirt and pressed it to her head, willing the bleeding to stop quickly.

"Nicole?" she heard through the door again.

On the outside, Elliot wasn't sure what to do. He knew if Olivia woke up, she wouldn't want him talking to his daughter. But he felt that out of the two of them, Nicole would not talk to her mother about things that were going on in her life. Especially if it was as bad as he expected this to be.

Elliot sighed at the response he didn't get back. On instinct, he reached up on top of the door frame and hoped to find a spare key. He did.

"You better be decent," he told Nicole just before he unlocked and opened the door.

Nicole quickly jumped on her bed an lie flat on her stomach. "Go away," she said in that dangerously quiet warning voice Olivia had shown Elliot as well.

"What happened to you today? I can't have both you and your mom off the hinges."

"Well fix her then. My problems can't really be fixed."

"Why? Nicole, I know thing-"

Nicole was so emotionally unbalanced that she popped up to face and reprimand him. "Don't even give me that damn 'oh everything's gonna be fine. I know it's hard now' speech. It's not fucking true! I will never have my old life back!"

With that, her face went back in the pillow. But Elliot saw the injuries, be went over to her and sat down on her bed, and touched her shoulders.

When she realized he wasn't going to leave her alone, she gave in to her feelings and started weeping.

Just like her mother, Elliot thought. Just have to push them a little.

"Come on, sit up," Elliot told her. She did so and wept into his shoulder instead. As much as she hated to admit it, Elliot had that comforting fatherly aura she felt she could trust. She let herself trust him, just this once, that he would listen, and not give her shit about her 'friends'.

"What's happening, huh?" he asked quietly.

Suddenly, anger flashed. "I shouldn't have told you about Mikey."

Elliot was surprised at her sudden outburst. "What?!"

"If I wouldn't have told you, he wouldn't have gotten arrested. Mikey's the most popular guy in school and everyone loves him, well, except me, but yeah. He's arrested and I took him away from his friends and they're all pissed at me and I got the shit beaten out of me today and if I wouldn't have told you I wouldn't be-"

"Slow down," Elliot interrupted. "Remember what Mikey did?"

Elliot forced the girl to look at him. She nodded.

"Remember how Kat came to you and she trusted she would be fine. She told me about Mikey? She wanted to press charges?"

Nicole looked to the floor and realized. She wasn't in the wrong here. She wasn't the one who backed out after it was all said and done.

"So I didn't do anything wrong?"

"Of course you didn't, Nic."

"Then they beat me up for nothing! And they all hate me and I'm going to be all alone and beaten up all day long every day for the rest of forever!"

Nicole exploded into hysterics again.

"Your mom will help you figure something out, alright? You have to talk to her first."

"No!" Nicole said, almost...scared? "My mom has hated those people since we moved here and she hated my hair and hated my clothes and she just...just...hated me! She won't help me! She'll be all like, 'I told you so!' I don't want to-"

She was interrupted by the door creaking open. She heard footsteps just loud enough to where she knew it was her mother.