Chapter 25 - Bowing Out

Rhea laid awake in her bedroom and stared at the popcorn ceiling. She really didn't want to go into work on Monday, not with a black eye. What was more embarrassing? Kevin witnessing the whole thing? Scott participating in the fight that caused it? Her life was such a mess. What could Rhea do at this point to preserve her dignity? She couldn't bring herself to face her boyfriend or the suit-wearer. No matter how many times Rhea tried to talk herself through her feelings, she just couldn't agree to become that girl. The type of person who selfishly choose their own happiness over others.

And yet she left Sean at the gala by himself.

"Are you still up?" Tegan gently knocked on the bedroom door. She invited herself inside, joined Rhea on her bed, and then rested her head on her shoulder. "Is your eye still hurting?"

"Thinking of Sean hurts more," Rhea admitted.

Tegan pulled her phone out , skimmed through her images, and revealed the photo Rhea took with Wolverine. "This should help."

Rhea hung her head. "I had to do the peace sign in order to hide my black eye," she complained.

Tegan laughed.

"Are you okay?" Rhea asked her friend. "About the whole Scott situation?"

There was a short pause before her friend kept speaking. "To be honest," Tegan said. "I never thought ripping his heart out would make me so unsatisfied. He said he was single. He made me think he was interested. He said he would call. He left me waiting around for a whole month. He made me feel pathetic."

Rhea nodded. "That he did."

"Then I should be satisfied!" Tegan exclaimed. "I should be satisfied right? Then how come I'm not?"

"Because of Christian?"

"That asshole is not any better," Tegan huffed. "He flirts with me non-stop but then has the balls to say he will only confess when he thinks I can handle it? What the hell does that even mean?"

"Handle his feelings?" Rhea supplied.

"So cryptic!" Tegan drawled.

Just then the doorbell rang.

"Who the hell is it at this hour?" Rhea asked.

"I'll get it," Tegan exhaled. She got off the bed and disappeared out into the living room. Rhea followed her friend out, curious to see who their surprise visitor was. Standing by the ledge of the staircase, she listened for the door and tried to make out the whispered conversation that was taking place downstairs.

"Rhea!" Tegan called.

Oh god. Who was it? It couldn't be Warren. Shit. What was Rhea going to do if the suit-wearer was at her doorstep? Adjusting her spider-man night gown and fluffing her hair out, Rhea prepared herself to greet their midnight guest. Halfway down the steps, Rhea's eyes caught Sean. He was still in his suit and fancy shoes, but looked a little distressed.

Tegan gave her an awkward smile. "Look who it is."

"Heeey," Rhea smiled at Sean.

"I'm sorry for dropping by unannounced but I think we should talk," came the calm reply.

Rhea nodded. "We should."

Oh god this so was such a shitty situation. Was there any excuse she could make about why she left the gala with Tegan? Rhea didn't want to hurt his feelings but maybe it was already too late for that. He had already dropped, 'we should talk' into the conversation. This was not going to end well.

"I'll be up stairs then," Tegan waved already climbing the steps.
-

Rhea decided to speak with Sean outside the house. It would be easy for him to make an escape if things got uncomfortable. Selfishly, it would be easier for Rhea if she didn't have to see him out the door. If he was there to break up with her then maybe it was best to hear him out. It wasn't like she gave him many reasons to stick around.