Tutankhamun Centenary 2022

TUTANKHAMUN CENTENARY 2022

LORD GEORGE CARNARVON'S CAR SMASH IN GERMANY THAT NEARLY COST HIM HIS LIFE

PART 1 ( OF 3 PARTS)

WAS THE EARL'S CRASH IN 1901? OR WAS IT 1909?

WAS THE EVENT MADE TO FIT HISTORY AND CORRUPT IT?

WHAT DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE TO HISTORY?

Extract from

"Carnarvon, Carter and Tutankhamun Revisted: The Hidden Truths and Doomed Relationships"

By William Cross

For more than 90 years, smart Egyptologists, fussy historians, Highclere ghost-writers, distinguished academics, investigative journalists and others have failed to check the accuracy of the year for George Herbert's well known motor car smash in Germany – a horrific incident that nearly cost him his life. George is best known as Lord George Carnarvon or the 5th Earl of Carnarvon of Tutankhamun fame. Without Lord George Carnarvon the treasure of Tutankhamun may not have emerged. So this accident is noteworthy.

If the ghost writers of Highclere or any of their learned, worthy or best selling followers ever bothered to check the year of the accident by examining the news reports of the event from contemporary sources- like 20th Century newspapers from Britain and the USA - they would find that this much quoted episode actually took place at the end of August 1909, not the end of September 1901 or some other date.

Even after pointing out that the year 1901 is wrong it is still recorded in the Highclere's most recent money-raising title, in the 'Real Downton Abbey' series. In addition the misinformation continues to be spouted to their Castle visitors.

Deliberate misinformation is a snub on history

Why does it matter? Why indeed? Well, it does! If the Battle of Hastings was put across by well placed public figures as being in the year 1050 or they said the Great War began in 1911 it would surely matter to challenge? The same applies to this 1901 claim : It is a deliberate snub on history and confuses learning for the likes of young people.

Unless we become a part of an Orwell's 1984-world, history must be recorded with accuracy, integrity, be sourced and proved. Hence the motive for writing this piece, to demonstrate the misinformation.

Lord Carnarvon and the Tutankhamun Timeline for 2022

The year of Lord George Carnarvon's accident matters for historical purposes in formulating the timeline for the life especially as the co-discoverer with Howard Carter of the Tomb of the boy King Tutankhamun in Egypt's Valley of the Kings in 1922. George is an important world figure: it must be desirable to get his storyline and all the connected dates absolutely right and before the high water mark of the Tutankhamun Centenary in 2022.

History successfully corrupted

It will still be a struggle to shift the sands that suffocate the truth or have anyone take further action to correct things because this is a chronic, endemic, error appearing in tens of thousands of records, books, journals, Internet web sites etc and the putrefaction cannot be changed at a stroke - indeed the damage is already done to history – history has been successfully corrupted - the truth beaten by historical bunkum too readily written, accepted and left unchecked.

More Bad history on Lord George Carnarvon

This bad history is not the only inaccuracy in the story of the life and times of George, 5th Earl of Carnarvon – there are a number of other ( so called ) facts that have been simply made to fit around this man's history and supplant his part in the discovery of the 'wonderful things' from ancient Egypt of 3000-years ago. The truth about his much cited death by an insect bite at the height of Tutankhamun fame is another affair that needs revision.

The inaccuracy of the date of the car accident compounds the bad history further since this accident - when stated as 1901 - is also given as the REASON that led to Lord Carnarvon first going out to Egypt for a way of easing his injured and diseased lungs in warmer climes. The narrative continues that because of the Earl's injuries to his chest ( from the crash) he could never spend another winter in England. Curiously, the late H V Winstone one of Howard Carter's biographers, cites 1903 as the crucial year for the accident and the Earl's first wintering in Egypt.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART 2

This is a draft extract from a new book "Carnarvon, Carter and Tutankhamun Revisted: The Hidden Truths and Doomed Relationships"

by William Cross

TO BE PUBLISHED IN 2016

ISBN-10: 1905914369 ISBN-13: 978-1905914364

SOURCES ARE WITHHELD IN THIS ARTICLE BUT CAN BE SUPPLIED BY THE AUTHOR ON REQUEST

The sources will appear in the End Notes to the new book

Any enquiries please e-mail William Cross