Chapter 26: Gone

I ran straight north through the woods. The cold stung my face and my breath came out in thick white puffs. I bumped into trees and stumbled over rocks and roots, but I refused to slow down. I had no idea what I'd do once I got back to the house, but that didn't matter. I'd figure something out. I just needed to get there first. I needed to find my brother.

When I came out of the woods, the house loomed ahead of me. The moon shined down on it, giving it an eerie glow. I ran up the sidewalk and threw open the front door.

I could see the others at the dining table. "Where's Boy?" I yelled to them. "Where's my brother? Has anyone seen him?"

Some of them stared. Some of them looked down at their plates or hands. Kit ran down the hall to me.

"What happened, Words?" she asked.

"There's no time!" I said. "Did you see him?"

"He . . ." She looked at the entryway closet door.

I lunged and grabbed for the entryway closet's doorknob, but Kit jumped in my way.

"Words, no! He's still in there! The Voice won't like you trying to get in!"

"Get away from me!" I pushed her aside and grabbed the handle. I expected resistance, but it twisted easily and the door opened.

Kit gasped from behind me. I fell to my knees.

The closet was empty.

"You saw him go in here?" I asked.

She didn't answer.

I yelled down the hallway down to the others. "He went in here? He didn't come out?"

Silence.

"Answer me!"

"Yes!" Kit said. "He was . . . pulled in there. He didn't come out. He was only in there a minute before you got here."

I could hardly breathe. I couldn't lose my brother. I had to find him—to protect him. "He can't be gone."

"Words! Don't!"

It was too late. I'd stumbled inside the entryway closet and pulled the door shut behind me. As soon as the door was closed, all was perfectly silent except for my own hard breathing.

"Where's my brother?" I asked. I turned in a circle even though I couldn't see a thing. I reached out and swung my arms in every direction, feeling for him. "Boy? Are you here?"

I'd never gone into the entryway closet without being Compelled. I had no idea what would happen. Would The Voice even talk to me? Would I not come out, either?

I ran my hands along the wall. I circled all the way around the closet until I came back to the door handle.

"Where is my brother? Tell me!"

Something hit me in the face and I fell backwards into the wall.

"Tell me!" I said.

A force threw me to the right. My face and shoulder slammed into a wall. I bounced off the wall and landed on the floor just as something grabbed my ankles and pulled upward. I flipped upside down and was pulled into the air. I hung for a second and then was dropped. My head banged against the floor.

"You will learn to show me some respect!" The Voice said. "This is my house! My house!"

A throb of pain threatened to split my head open. "Please," I said. I was ready to beg if I had to. I was desperate. I'd do anything. "Please, don't hurt my brother."