Chapter 12: How To Save A Life

I remember the day you were shot.

I remember how I nearly fell apart, how Jack tried his best to hold back his tears, how I promised to myself that I'd find a way to fix you. It's all too vivid in my mind, like a bright light that my eyes can't take any longer, so I'll shut them, only to find that the light still shines through my eyelids.

That was the second time I managed to save you. First the mutated vines, and then this. You would have bled to death if I hadn't of risked my life to get those needles and medical threads. I stitched up your God damn wound so you wouldn't die, because we all needed you. I needed you.

I will admit, I was a little squeamish at the fact that I was going to have to patch you up. The worst part was pulling the out bullet though, Jesus Christ I'll never forget that. You were so pale and I thought you were going to throw up, but you held on. Did you hold for me? Or were you hiding behind that mask of yours again?

It doesn't matter anymore anyway. I shouldn't have saved you. I shouldn't have been so naïve.

There'll be a scar on your chest forevermore, won't there? But it'll fade, just like the memories of me that you have stuffed into the back of your mind. You'll slowly forget the details of how you got it. You'll eventually need something to trigger the memory of how you sustained such an ugly jagged scar.

Maybe one day when you grown old, someone will point at it. Maybe someday a little girl with brown eyes like yours will ask you how you got it, and you'll frown in deep thought--that stupid little nose crinkle thing that I used to love so much coming out to play.

You won't remember how you got the scar, Alex. You won't remember because I won't be there to remind you.

You'll forget.

Just like you've forgotten all about me right now.

~

Waking up in a bed of long grass with my head rested on Alex's chest would have been much more peaceful if two guns hadn't been aimed directly at my head.

"Get up." a voice hissed as a solid boot kicked my leg harshly, snapping me out of my groggily state. Alex did not stir, for he was still asleep, blissfully unaware that we were in a life or death situation. My heart had already managed to run up to my throat, and I shook Alex roughly, my eyes glued to the guns that were still aiming at my face.

"Wazzgoingon?" Alex mumbled, rubbing his eyes and yawning like nothing life threatening was happening whatsoever.

I slapped his ass, making his eyes pop open instantly, his ears going red (an odd sort of thing to do when your embarrassed but I wasn't really in the right place and time to discuss Alex's weird habits with him).

"Looks like Sleeping Beauty's awake." one of the guys snorted, pulling down his scarf that covered his mouth. His teeth were yellow, and his eyes were sunken. I could feel the rolls of undernourishment coming off the guy. He looked like he hadn't eaten a good meal in years.

"Who are you c-calling Sleeping Beauty?" Alex yawned, still not fully awake (even though I had smacked his God damned ass).

"Get 'em boys." growled scarf man, nudging the guy with dark sunglasses in the shoulder.

Before I could even think about making an escape, Sunglasses had seized me and had literally slammed me down into the ground, face first, making me get a mouthful of grass and dirt, which was unpleasant to say the least. My head throbbed from the impact of my skull hitting the (not so soft anymore) ground, and I couldn't see Alex through the long grass.