Chapter 27 - The End

*Hi guys, as you all will know from the LOTR movies/books, my story is quickly racing towards the end (but not yet in this chapter - despite the title!). Thanks to everyone who has stayed with me so far! I hope you enjoyed it a little. Lots of love, Jazzlin*

Dear brothers. I suppose you are wondering how my life is turning out to be back here in Mirkwood. When I first arrived, everything was as we left it all those years ago. To you and other Lórien elves this might sound dreadful – and yet indeed, to me it was not. I feared my first ride out into the woods on my own would be my death, but even that fear was soon soothed. Since Thranduil of course did not know of my coming, no one waited at the western border of the forest to accompany me to the king's caves, my home. I survived the ride through the forest well: the time in the Golden Wood it seems has not robbed us of our abilities after all – at least this is the case for myself, but I am sure it will apply for you as well, dear brothers. I heard the wardens fought off the orc attacks: which is good – it would have been a pity to see Lothlórien destroyed. Yet I never doubted you would be able to prevent such a dire fate. At the beginning of my letter I told you nothing had changed in Mirkwood when I arrived. It is true, but I cannot deny that things have changed now, thanks to the Ladies Galadriel and Daëra. Their powers have driven the evil spirits out of my home and now it seems Mirkwood is changing back to the Great Wood. If you travelled here now, Haldir and Orophin, you would not recognise the place we grew up in. Sometimes, the sun's golden rays will reach the ground and everywhere it touches fresh green grass starts growing. Even the trees are less lethal and seem happier. I am teaching the other elves some of the songs we were singing in Lórien to heal the trees and make them happy. I hope it will work in here as well, now that Dol Guldur is destroyed. Thranduil does not resent you for not joining him anymore. He seemed displeased at first when only one of us returned, he had hoped Orophin would come as well. Of course he knew Haldir was March Warden and had tied his fate to Lórien for good. Now that Galadriel has saved his home, though, I doubt he will ever be angry at her again - he isnot even holding it against her anymore that she is keeping the both of you away from him. I told him we met Legolas when the fellowship passed through the Golden Wood and Thranduil was pleased to hear his son was well. Should those dark times ever brighten up, I hope you will both come for a visit to see for yourself the changes I have described to you above. Fare you well, Rumil.

"How are you?" Haldir asked the question more out of formality, he didn't expect a detailed account of his brother's health – in fact, he didn't expect anything different to "I am fine, I thank you, brother". The answer he got was "Alright. Thank you." – At first, Haldir didn't think much about it, but before he had walked several steps he stopped dead in his tracks and slowly turned around. "Are you quite sure, Orophin?" – His youngest brother sighed. "You do remember the cut I told you about? – Well, it is not healing as well as I would like. I think the blade that wounded me might have been poisoned." – Haldir frowned and went back to have a look at the cut on his brother's arm. It did indeed look sore still, even though the healers had already treated it. The rims were reddened and it was oozing a wet substance at all times. Haldir concluded it must be really painful. "We defeated the orcs days ago. Why did you not say something sooner?" – Orophin just shrugged and pulled his sleeve back down. "Obviously, the ordinary healers are not able to do anything about it, so I figured I would have to wait until the Lady's and Galadriel's return anyway. I did not see the need to bother you with it." – Haldir briefly considered starting an argument about how telling him about an injury was not bothering him, but he quickly decided against it – he knew what Orophin meant, he probably would have done it the same way himself.

He patted Orophin's shoulder. "I am sure they will be here soon. Rumil was telling us about them in his letter and I suppose the bird will not precede them more than a few days. They are swift riders." – Orophin nodded and tried to look confident. Haldir hid his worried glance behind a mask and thought of a task for his brother that would take his mind of the pain without him having to do much physical work. In the end he sent him to escort some caretakers, with all orcs that lived close to Lórien dead or fled, this should not end in a fight. His brother was definitely in a lot of pain. Haldir went to continue his duties, but he could not quite concentrate. After the battle had been fought and Dol Guldur destroyed without any of his loved ones ending up dead, he had imagined everyone safe. A capital mistake, of course: no one was ever really safe, unless perhaps in the Undying Lands. Suddenly, Haldir felt as if someone had switched a light back on in Lothlórien: the birds started to sing like they hadn't done for a while and the sun seemed to shine brighter, the colours appeared more colourful. That was when Haldir knew: the Lady of the Woods had returned.