Chapter 5 - Falling off a Tree

*Hi to everyone, so this is chapter no 5! Please, please, pleeease vote and/or comment if you like the story, for I'm not sure whether I shall continue... Tell me what you think! Jazzlin xxx*

When the sun rose the next morning, Haldir and his brothers were already waiting at the southern gate of Caras Galadhon to meet the caretakers of the woods. After a short while, a man joined them. "My name is Thilion – I am this group's leader." – Orophin looked back and forth between his brothers and the new elf. "This group? Shall you be our personal teacher?" – Thilion smiled. "By no means. Furthermore, I would not go as far as to say I were to teach you – I doubt I am more leaned in the matter of forests than you. My knowledge might just slightly exceed yours concerning this forest." – Haldir exchanged a glance with his brothers. "Well, we are really curious indeed what there is to know about this forest." – "You will see – right now even, since there are the others."

A group of five elves, male and female, had just stepped through the city gates. Thilion introduced them one after another and Haldir stowed the names and faces away where he they would be easy to recall, since it was very likely he should need them again. The fifth member of the group was a woman, Thilion pointed at her, saying: "And finally, this is..." – "Daëra," Haldir completed in the leader's stead. – "Have you met?" Thilion and Haldir's brothers asked in the same instant. – "Indeed, we have: we met yesterday in the woods," Daëra replied. – "You never said a word," Rumil whispered. "I did not see why it would be of any importance to you." Haldir looked away haughtily. Orophin laughed at that. "It is truly a shame you are not heir to the throne, brother: you have mastered the facial expressions already." – Ignoring the teasing among the brothers, the group set out to into the forest.

Rumil and Orophin were walking next to each other to continue their joking under their breath just loud enough for their brother to hear, so Daëra dropped behind to walk next to Haldir. "I would not have expected to meet you here," she remarked. – "It will probably take some time until the Lord and Lady have made up their minds, so Galadriel suggested we get to know the woods a little better." - "That is a very good idea. There isn't a more beautiful place in Middle-Earth than Lórien in winter – except perhaps Lórien in summer, when the mellorn trees are wearing their golden leaves. But I have never been here during summer – I am hoping someday I will." – Haldir tried to picture the wood all in gold, but found that his imagination could not come up with a suitable image. "Tell me," he finally asked, "what do caretakers of the wood do? And how come you are one of them?" – The edges of her lips were twitching at that as if she were suppressing a smile. Then she reached out to run her hand over the smooth bark of the trunks while she was walking. "Healing trees and animals, mostly. And we are planting herbs and flowers... Making sure that the forest is healthy. I know it does sound a bit like mere gardening, yet after a while one starts to feel whether something is amiss. That is why I am doing it, even though my status is that of a visitor. It is fascinating." – "So it is like... chopping wood and digging holes?" Haldir had to admit he had thought there was a more... elvish way to do such things. At that Daëra laughed openly, a crystal sound not often heard among the elves nowadays. "No, most of the things are achieved with the help of the old songs: in this forest, the trees are still listening to what we say." – Haldir crossed his arms. If back home they would ever try to sing totheir trees, the plants – had they mouths – would just laugh maliciously, before devouring them alive. "I do not think I will be a huge help," Haldir had to state somewhat grudgingly. "I do not know any of the old songs." – Daëra looked up to him reassuringly. "You will memorise the words quickly. Besides, someone who can lift the big boughs is always quite useful as well," she added with a somewhat mocking smile. – "They obviously already have someone who can creep into the brushwood." He returned her glance, not willing to let her win this battle of wit.