You're Not Concerned. You're Curious.

TW: suicide, self harm

Jack had recoiled like I hit him, the
Doctor mused to himself. But there was something else. Something much deeper. If I only knew. With a mental note to confront him about it in the TARDIS, the Doctor refocused on the problem that lay in front of him. The rocket engines.

He had to save millions, even billions of refugees that whole-heartedly believed they were being sent to Uutopia. With a rocket that couldn't start, they would have been stuck here until the end of the world. Unfortunately, that wasn't so far away.

It was a good thing the Doctor knew one or two things about nearly everything, and with some extra power from the TARDIS he had managed to fix it. That had been relatively easy but it got tricky when the power was sabotaged by something, or someone.

Jack and he had to manually fix the problem under the live jets. Jack couldn't die, unlike the previous person who had tried to fix it and disintegrated. Guards later found out what had destroyed the power panels, and shot it. Futurekind.

The refugees feared that they'd become Futurekind, with sharpened teeth, more beast than person. In a world that might collapse any day, the only thing they had left was humanity. When they lost that, the world might as well be gone. The Futurekind tried to hunt the refugees, acted like ancient pre-humans in tribes with torches and spears. If they were let into the refugee camps there'd be a bloodbath.

If I can just get them boarded and out of here, they'll be safe.

With their quick paces, both men made it to the couplings room within minutes. Jack had already taken off his jacket, just leaving him in a white tank top with suspenders over his broad shoulders connecting to his trousers.

"Jack...you know the fires won't get more bearable in less clothing. In fact, you're protecting yourself even less. I will admit though, you do look quite strapping."

Jack appreciated his attempt to act light hearted, and he did look pretty good. However, his attempt could only cover so much. When you got down to it, the broken minefield lying between them was still pressing, and as dangerous as ever. They both saw it.
"I know." replied Jack, doing a little model strut to play out the Doctor's comment further.

The minefield was still on the back of their eyelids whenever they blinked. There was no denying it.

"Well, I've got to get on it." Jack said, pushing the door open to the flames, and winced. He continued on, secretly hoping this was the one death he wouldn't wake up from. He walked over to the first tank, after closing the door behind him. Type in the code, lift up the panel, take the metal pump up, twist it, and push it back down. They were each heavy, Jack grunting as he pushed the first one down.

"How long have you known?" Jack addressed the Doctor. And why didn't you tell me BEFORE I tried to kill myself. If I had known I would just wake up, I wouldn't have shot myself.

"Since I ran away from you." he replied, wincing a little at how harsh he sounded. "When Rose consumed the time vortex from the heart of the TARDIS she had enough power to bring you back." He explained, flashing back to that fateful day. "The last act of the time war was life."

"I'm sorry you lost her Doctor." Jack tried to mean what he said. Rose was nice, but he still held a little grudge against her.

When Jack moved to the second pump the Doctor asked the question at the front of his mind.

"Jack, how did you find out? We didn't leave you in the middle of a warzone. It was London. You should have been safe." The Doctor said, perplexed.