Chapter 6

A rider speeds through the main gate of Ayutthaya, screaming from the bottom of his lungs: "she's alive, it's a miracle."

He goes straight to Lord Anantachai's house to deliver the good news personally. The fat man, still in the clothes from yesterday, hearing the good news makes his eyes sparkle again. Color returns to his cheeks, he is back to being his old conniving self again.

"You did good that you came to me first. I'll remember this and you'll be rewarded. Now go to the palace, tell the king the good news." He says, sending the messenger out.

"You can come in now Ghao, we're alone now. I know how much you enjoy hiding in the dark shadows, but it creeps me out every single time when you do that."

Ghao steps to the center of the room, dressed again in his usual all black. He lifts his right foot and smacks the heel of his boot hard on the gilded table. Not that he needed to, but it gave him great pleasure to disrespect the fat pig, and all the expensive unnecessary material things, like this ridiculously large table covered with gold, that he knows the man cherishes above all.

"You got lucky today, very, very lucky."

"I was wrong. I actually prefer it when you hide in the dark shadows, that way I don't have to look at your ugly black mug." His courage had returned with the good news too. This dog could still bite.

Ghao feels amused by this newfound nerve, and laughs out loud.

"Oh you make me laugh so hard sometimes, you know that. Does it feel good to insult me? That was good. Do you feel happy now?" Still can't stop smiling.

"I will let you have your fun this time. The plan is back on track. Two hundred elite troops are on their way, the very best that China has to offer. They will be here in 10 days, you better make sure you do your part and they will do theirs."

"I wil..... Anantachai starts to speak but another smack of the heel on the table stops him in his tracks.

"Your voice has grown tiresome. Now shut up and make sure you do what you have promised." says Ghao, as he retreats in to the shadows.

Anantachai breaths in deeply, thinking about the near future 'oh just you wait, as soon as I sit on the throne I'll be rid of you, you arrogant bastard. And as soon as the Chinese play their part I'll get rid of them too.'

******

"My king, she's safe." Proclaims the messenger as he enters the great throne room, and falls to the floor at the king's feet. "Princess Sasithorn will be coming back home very soon your royal highness. Your best men are protecting her." Catcing his breatch for a few moments, he continues. "We also captured the white devil that was holding her."

"That's the happiest news I have ever heard. You will be rewarded soldier. Now go rest, you have earned it. White devil you say. We will deal with him too." Rama turns to his nobles who had gathered here as a show of support. "Prepare a welcoming party. Today is a holiday. We will celebrate for 20 days."

The whole room erupts with cheers and praises for the king and for the princess.