XVIII - Crescendo

"My little ponies," Princess Celestia spoke, her wings spread majestically on either side of her. "I am pleased to be here for this meeting in the beautiful town of Ponyville. Though this isn't the largest of towns in Equestria, it is far from the furthest thing in my mind. I care for each and every one of my precious subjects, and it is with all of you in mind that I make this visit to your humble community."

The hotel lobby brimmed with bright faces and glistening eyes. Rows upon rows of awestruck equines bowed before the alicorn at the far end of the chamber. Bordering the group, muscular pegasus guards stood in glinting armor, scrutinizing the crowd with glaring, suspicious eyes that their benevolent leader couldn't afford. Twilight Sparkle was there, smiling proudly from where she stood alongside her mentor.

With a dip of her horn, Celestia nodded towards the many ponies in attendance. "Peace and harmony are the essences of our souls; I have believed that since the dawn of time. To that end, I present myself to you with an open heart, so that all of your concerns regarding the well-being of Ponyville and Equestria as a whole can be fully addressed here. I do believe your beloved Mayor has already chosen the order for questions. You may proceed at your own pace; I have the whole afternoon dedicated to you, my precious subjects."

The ponies chattered amongst each other, at least until the Mayor waved her hoof and silenced the crowd with a shrill whistle. Smiling, she gestured towards a stallion standing in the front row of the lobby. "Your Majesty, I present to you Cold Gardens, the proprietor of the Rising Sun Floral Shop on the east end of town."

A stallion stood up from the group and performed a bow. Wringing his forelimbs together pensively, he spoke to the brilliant alicorn standing before him. "Your Highness, let me first say that it is a privilege and an honor to be in your presence. Ever since I first saw you at the Orlandoats Summer Sun Celebration of 983, I've been mesmerized by your wisdom and beauty."

"983..." Celestia's smile was a tranquil thing as she said, "That was a good year for sunflowers."

Cold Gardens blinked. With rosy cheeks, he smiled and nodded. "Yes! Yes, they were everywhere that year. I was so f-fascinated with sunflowers as a little colt. Ever since that Summer Sun Celebration, I would look at a sunflower and think of your glory and power." He gulped and said, "I do believe you were my inspiration to pursue my special talent in gardening, your majesty."

"That brings me great joy," she said. "How may I help you today, Mr. Gardens?"

"Well, y-your highness..." He gulped again and gestured outside the front doors to the place. "There's been something of a drought Ponyville this year. It's not nearly as bad a dry season as 997, but several of the local flora have recently withered due to dehydration. We had to build a second greenhouse just to prevent a few local flowers from going extinct. Now, I know th-that you've been awfully busy this year, what with the dragon situation in the mountains west of here, not to mention the wonderful reunion you must still be having with your sister, Princess Luna—"

"I assure you, never for one second is my attention so divided that I cannot see to the concerns of my subjects," Celestia interrupted with a smile. "I am quite aware of this drought of which you speak. I assume you were the one who commissioned the town to write the public petition for weather assistance two months ago here in Ponyville?"

The stallion blinked. "Why, yes! Yes it was me! You... you mean you actually t-took the time to read it? Uhm, your Highness?"

She chuckled warmly. "But of course. Immortality does come with its share of insomnia, after all."

Several ponies laughed and giggled cheerfully. Twilight smiled.

Celestia continued speaking. "I did read that letter, Mr. Gardens, and I immediately made a request of the Cloudsdalian Weather Commission to plan an extra week of precipitation for the middle of April. However, upon further study, a group of pegasus meteorologists told me that extra rainfall won't be a permanent solution for the growing drought problem. To this end, I spoke with your Mayor and suggested an irrigation program. Being earth ponies, I figured that such a project would be quite feasible to..."