Part III: Salted Pumpkin

Mrs. Jema: (To Pepe.)Here's your coffee.

Mr. Ray. Where's mine?

Mrs. Jema: I don't know. I thought you like tea. Do you also like coffee?

Mr. Ray: (Tired of having too long conversation.)No!

Reggie: Mom,I'll go into my room.

Mrs. Jema: So what?

Reggie: Okay,I'll go ahead. (Goes into his room.)

Mrs. Jema: Hijo,who are you?

Mr. Ray: He is Pe---

Mrs. Jema: Stop,I'm not asking you!I'm asking that strange guy.

Pepe:Just call me Pepe,Mrs. Jema.(Mrs. Jema nods.Reggie has just risen up from his bed and it's about six.)

Reggie: Pepe,I think I know you but I don't know when was the last time we've met.

Pepe: Reggie,right?

Mrs. Jema: (Speaks louder.)Do you know him Reggie?

Reggie: I don't know.

Mr. Ray: Don't tell me you're--

Reggie: What?I told you,I don't know him.

Mr. Ray: Okay,lets go back to our main topic.Again,why are you here.(Tonyo excuses and sits beside Pepe.)

Tonyo: Tell them what's your initial purpose of coming.

Pepe: But,wait.I forgot.

Tonyo: Oh,you're such an idiot!

Mr. Ray: Stop that foolish thing.Let's go back to our main topic.

Reggie: (Sleepy.)Won't you speak?

Mrs. Jema: (Slaps the storekeeper.)Hey!

Pepe: Oh,sorry.I just want to let you know that I'm so thankful.

Tonyo: Thankful for what?

Mr.Ray: What?

Mrs. Jema: For what?

Reggie: What and why?

Pepe: Thankful for this great opportunity to speak before each one of you.Oh,sorry.I'm just kidding.I just want to let you know,you,you and you (pointing to Mr. Ray and family) are cheats.

Tonyo: Huh?! How did you say so? Why did you say that?

Pepe: Because,last Tuesday evening,you bought some 'Buto ng Kalabasa' at my store then you left and didn't pay.

Mrs. Jema: Oh,I don't know that.Talk to each other with proper manners.(The gardener,Tonyo,gets some buto ng kalabasa inside the house.)

Reggie: Oh,I'm sorry.I forgot to pay.I was in a hurry that time.How much do I owe you for the 10 buto ng kalabasa (10 pumpkin seeds) ?

Pepe: Ten 'buto ng kalabasa' indeed!If those seeds would be planted,I'll have many seeds to be planted again.And,if those seeds will be planted again and again,I should have a big 'kalabasahan' soon.I shall become a millionaire, but then, you'd ruined all my dreams. So,pay 5,000 pesos for the ten 'buto ng kalabasa'.

(Demanded the storekeeper.)

Mr. Ray: 5,000 pesos? I can't pay 5,000 pesos for those ten seeds.

Pepe: Then,let us go to the authority to settle this matter.I will accept no less than 5,000 pesos.

Reggie: And we'll pay no more than the price of ten 'buto ng kalabasa'.

Tonyo: There's no need.

Pepe: Why?

Tonyo: Because I'm here. I'll be the one to solve all your doubts or uncertainty about something.

(Tonyo gets inside the kitchen.When he came back,he has something in his hands.)