3

Zephyr interlocks her fingers and sets them on her desk top. She shoots me a worried look, as if she expected me to know this information beforehand.

"You do know about the experiment, right?"

I nod my head.

"Everyone knows about the experiment, but nobody knows about the experiment. It has torn families apart and created life to be destined to fighting."

But, this still doesn't answer my question. It's still not clear why I've lived anxiously and fearfully for so long.

"And that's exactly why I need you. The person conducting the whole experiment... his name is Xenon. He resides in the Ohio Statehouse, a pretty long ways away from here. He appointed me to be the head of the Academy because I was a little more special than the other experimentals. He told me all about you, and you're a pretty special one too."

"He told me while he was experimenting on you, your power potential was enormous. You awakened during his procedure and attempted to escape. When you failed, he then tried to erase your memory of the experiment but couldn't complete the process, which resulted in you fleeing and becoming an outlaw. Xenon immediately warned me about it, and I've decided to pick you up off the streets. I even dispatched an elite Inquisition group to come after you. And after two long years, we brought you in. Yet, I am assuming you don't know what your lure and lack is."

My jaw drops. I can't even begin to process all the information given to me. Two years? I've been running for two years?! And me, out of all people, is wanted personally by Zephyr? Impossible!

"Wait, what's a lure and a lack?" I frantically ask Zephyr, a bead of stress sweat dripping down my hairline.

"Oh my god." she face palms her forehead. "I know Xenon erased some of your memory, but seriously? You don't even know what a lure and a lack is? That's basic stuff, dude!"

"It's not my fault I don't know this stuff! If I had a choice to-" I blurt, before getting interrupted by Zephyr.

"Watch your tone with me, mister! I can decide the pathway of your life with the snap of a finger!"

I immediately recoil, regretting ever letting my emotions take over. This woman is scary as heck.

Zephyr relaxes her shoulders and sighs. "Sorry. I tend to get a little hot-tempered sometimes." she says, then clears her throat. "You will be staying in one of the dorms here until further notice."

At that moment, someone knocks on the door behind me.

"Come in!" Zephyr calls.

I turn my head to see who it is, and it's someone completely different from what I'd ever expect. A petite girl with unnaturally bright red hair, emerald green eyes and near flawless skin walks into the office wearing a sweet smile. I look at her in disbelief that she's actually a real person.

"Hello Zephyr! You look beautiful today, just like every other day!" the girl says enthusiastically.

"Thank you my dear! Scarlet, I want you to meet Tyler. Tyler, this is Scarlet. She will fill you in on all the details. But before she does that, I want you to get cleaned up," she says as she walks over to unlock my handcuffs, "you're an absolute mess. Scarlet, he will be staying in room 104. Give him some clothes and take him out for coffee or something."

"Yessir! Have a lovely day!" Scarlet says, saluting her.

Scarlet grabs my hand and leads me out of the office, skipping and humming a tune. I'm confused. Why did Zephyr choose this girl to fill me in? She looks like she's twelve and acts like she's five.