One

In the early morning hours, I can feel my husband stirring from beside me. He never lays too close to my side, and is never too affectionate with me. It's been that way since we married, something I didn't know I wanted until the time had come along.

Let me explain; my name is Beatrice Black, and I am twenty-three years old. As a child, I grew up in the Abnegation faction with my parents Andrew and Natalie, and my ten month older than me, know it all brother, Caleb. Of course, if I said that to him I would have to apologize. Unlike my brother, during my Choosing Ceremony, I stayed in Abnegation to please my parents. My brother went on to Erudite to become a well-known scholar and scientist. My parents and I are proud of his achievements.

My whole life has been living in this faction. From the moment I was born, my mother believed I was destined to become something great, something that could change everything. Growing up, I didn't exactly display the typical Abnegation morals. Sometimes I wouldn't make my bed. Sometimes I wouldn't help out with the dishes, or give some food in my pocket to the factionless woman whose cries of hunger echo the streets by my house. Sometimes, I just couldn't do that.

My mother tells me to this day that everyone is selfish, and there is something that we can't do about that, because as humans we are entitled to flaw, and makes mistakes, and be imperfect, and everything else that is wrong with humanity. We are divided to keep each other equal in our own lives, and the fence keeps us safe.

While my brother was in Erudite, adapting to a whole new lifestyle full of books, highly intellectual people that were smarter than him, and wearing the latest trends of fake glasses when he had perfect vision, I chose to stay in Abnegation. I worked my way up through the ranks, helping out the people through volunteer programs with my mother, and eventually taking Marcus Eaton's place on the council. He stepped down one day, and the position was open. My father's eyes lit up when I blurted out at dinner one night that I would volunteer. He didn't even seem to mind my sudden and quirky outburst, and the mutters under my breath of that secretive man. He was so happy his only daughter was continuing on with the family status.

It was a year later working in the ranks that I began a relationship with Robert. Abnegation couples don't exactly marry for love, but in some cases they can. But that's the problem with me – I never officially agreed that I was in love with Robert, but I found myself caring for him more than I should have. He was Susan Black's brother, a young man dedicated to his family, and the future of the faction's efficiency. His father drove Robert, myself, and Susan to school every day for a long time. Robert is a skinny man, but he has enough muscle to hold more than he is credited for. He has short blond hair, given the Abnegation style cut, which is never growing hair out past the ear for men, and women have their ends trimmed and always up in a bun. Robert looks almost content and normal in his gray slacks. He is a true man of his word, something I had always admired.

When Robert first showed interest in me, his parents and Susan were over for dinner with me and my parents, some five years ago. By the time, I was maybe eighteen, since two years had passed, although my age is estimated and not unknown. He helped my parents clean up after dinner, and I walked Susan home with her parents. At the door, Susan commented to me saying, "I think my brother fancies you."

I didn't believe her at first, but when I got home Robert politely asked me if I would court with him, and my father was near. I know he didn't mean to spy, for it is intrusive and selfish to hear other people's affairs and businesses, but as far as my mother was concerned he was just looking out for me. I accepted, and he happily bowed to me, a typical greeting in Abnegation. He asked my parent's permission to kiss my hand, a symbolic gesture of affection.

Forged: A SparkOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara