Two

It is later in the evening when there is a knock at the door. I freeze in my place, holding a bowl in my hands. Abnegation people eat plain food with minimal spices and seasoning just to enhance some flavor in the chicken breast, which is served with green peas and a slice of brown bread as accustomed. The bowls are on the table, ready and prepared. I hear the steps creak as Robert walks to the door.

I try to excuse myself quickly upstairs, but Robert stops me. "Beatrice, where are you going?"

I quickly think of something. I don't want to see who is at the door just yet. "I have prepared dinner." I state, simply. "Please, allow me to change."

Robert nods and smiles. He doesn't catch on to my excuse. "Alright, we will see you in a few."

"Do not wait for me." I reply, but I know he will anyways. Robert makes sure I am upstairs and around the hallway before opening the door.

I walk into our bedroom quickly and close the door. My hands are clammy and I cannot breathe for some reason. We have guests over often, but we do not need clearance for our own people. The sounds of muffled voices distract me from my task at hand. Right, I am supposed to change.

I strip of my worn gray dress and dig through the closet. I have more, I know I do. My old one has tears and mended patches of fabric against the sleeves and bottom from where it has torn against the ground, and worn over the several times it has been born. I unlock the mirror quickly once I have moved to the bathroom, and toss my old rags into the trashcan.

For a moment, the gesture seems hesitant. I close the mirror locked again and refuse to open it. I pull my gray clothing from the basket and place it back in the room. I can drop it off to my mother for a moment. I know Robert will not mind, but I know I will have to do it after.

I take a deep breath and walk down the hallway, and descend down the steps. Sitting at the table, across from my husband, is a young woman with thin dark hair and a slouchy posture. She has dark skin as well, and is very pretty. I turn into the room, my eyes glancing for only a second, because that is all I have until Robert gets my attention. It is then I notice the young woman also has a large, bright, white smile, and beautiful brown eyes. But that's not what catches my attention.

Beside her is one of the most handsome men I have ever laid eyes on. His navy blue eyes are staring down at the table. He is muscular, a lot more than I can remember, and his hands rest on his lap. He is in black clothing, a tight t-shirt that defines his muscles and jeans to compliment the look. He has a hooked jaw and a full lower lip, and his face is slightly square.

But then I notice my husband sitting across from them. He has already placed food on my plate for me, and everything has been passed to the left. I walk in quietly, keeping my face toward my husband, and then I take a seat at the table.

The navy blue eyes look up, and I feel like I'm going to faint. Tobias is here, across from me, at the table. My heart is racing, and I swallow my throat practically. I cough for a second, and take a faint sip of the water in front of me. Robert smiles at me and then back to the duo. "This is my wife, Beatrice." Robert says as an introduction to me. The woman next to the man smiles at me faintly. "Beatrice, this is Christina Kravitz, and Four Johnson."

The man looks up to me, and he almost smiles. It falters quickly, but Christina's remains. "It's lovely to meet you, Beatrice." She says.

I force a tight smile at her and nod my head. "Pleasure to have you here, Christina."

"It's an honor to meet you, Beatrice." The man –Four- speaks to me. He acts as if we had never met before. Maybe I should've expected something like this, but never did I expect Tobias to be sitting across from me with another woman, while I am bound to another man until death.