Four

The following morning Robert wakes up as to not disturb me, but I stir anyways, and turn over. He has risen to get dresses for the morning. The sun barely comes in through the small, cracked window in the bedroom.

"Where are you going?" I question, and I almost regret it. He jumps at the sound of my voice.

"Curiosity is selfish, Beatrice." He says, turning around to put a shirt on. Abnegation people do not normally sleep in the same room as their spouses, but I find it comforting to have Robert beside me sometimes.

But his tone is what surprises me most, and it makes me cringe. I feel like he has something to hide in the way he hurries. "Just tell me this... is everything alright?"

Robert smiles down at me and kisses my forehead. "Everything is fine, Beatrice. Do not worry, alright?"

I nod my head, and he smiles at me. "I'm going to Dauntless for a visit. One of the leaders wishes to see me. Would you like to come?"

Would I? My heart soars higher than an eagle in flight. Being there, in the one place I would be free, it seems too real and something about it all almost makes me question the truth. But I shake my thoughts off and nod my head.

"I would love to go to Dauntless with you."

He smiles at me and hands me some darker clothing. It's almost black, but not quite. "Well, get ready than. We have to catch the train in a few minutes."

My heart flutters with excitement as we walk through the Abnegation streets. People pass by, nodding, and a few people shake hands. I see a couple hug once in a while, but mainly it's to watch their children head back off to their homes in different colors. I walk beside my husband at a slow pace, passing by others along the way.

The platform isn't too far ahead, and is within distance. When the train horn sounds, it startles me at first. I see Robert run. I don't know why he is running, and I follow after him. I realize that the train is coming around the corner and we have to catch it.

I've never seen Robert do anything like his before. His shaggy blond hair frames his face. He hasn't cut it in a while, and maybe he will later if I mention it. The train whizzes past me in a blur, and before I realize long Robert is calling my name. I take off toward him.

The pins fall from my hair, and I can't help but let them. I have one day to be free, to be entirely myself. I have one day to let go and be something entirely different. We have a secret all to ourselves.

I grab the handle and pull myself up, and Robert takes my hand, keeping me steady and pulls me inside. The platform falls from underneath and now we are just riding the train against the rails.

Robert softly smiles at me, and stares at my face for a moment. "I don't say this often enough, but you are something else, Bea."

Bea. It's weird to hear a nickname like that. But I don't like it. I frown a little. "Have another nickname idea?"

A voice speaks from across the car. "How about Tris?"

There stands Tobias, alongside Christina, who gives Robert and I a shy smile. There's also a slim, handsome man with dark skin and a snake tattoo. He has warm brown eyes and a big smile.

The corners of my mouth turn upright. "I like it."

"I do too." Robert replies, taking my hand.