Going for a walk

The next morning Jarrett wakes up next to Rebecca, both of them naked. He gets up slowly, making sure not to wake her. He puts on some clothes, kisses her forehead, and goes to the kitchen to make eggs. After a bit, Rebecca comes out wearing his white button-up shirt and no pants.

"Hey baby," she says, rubbing her eye.

"Hey cutie," he responds, still working on the eggs. She kisses him on the cheek and hugs him from behind. He turns around and kisses her on the lips. He doesn't know how long he kisses her for, but he breaks it when the fire alarm goes off from excessive steam.

"Dumb thing," he says, shutting it off.

Jarrett sets two plates of eggs on the table and sits down with Rebecca.

"What shall we do today?" Jarrett asks, taking a bite. Rebecca shrugs.

"How does a walk sound?" she asks.

"Awesome."

They get dressed and head out. They walk to the park holding hands.

"What a beautiful day outside," Rebecca says.

"Just like you," Jarrett says. They keep walking and see some average park activities. Teens playing basketball. A kid playing baseball with his dad. A man going for a run. He doesn't look like he's working out though. It's almost as if he's...running at them.

"Who is that?" Jarrett asks.

Rebecca looks and immediately runs the other way. Confused, Jarrett keeps trying the identify the man. As he runs by, Jarrett realizes who it is. It's Will. Jarrett pulls out his phone, calls 911, and chases Will.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"I'm chasing down an abusive husband, I need assistance here before he beats his wife."

"Where are you?"

"At the park, by the soccer field."

Jarrett chases after him but he's too far. Will eventually catches up to Rebecca and Jarrett watches in horror as he beats her down. He slaps her and punches her until she bleeds.

"Stop!" Jarrett says, catching up to the fight and tackling Will. He brings him to the ground and Will struggles. He stops and stares into Jarrett's eyes.

"You," Will says. "You took her! You'll never understand. I was protecting her!"

"From what?!" Jarrett asks, puzzled.

"Get off the man."

They turn to see a cop standing there, hands on a gun facing them. Jarrett gets up, hands in the air.

"Let's go," he says, grabbing Will. "You two need to come as well, I need your insurance and phone numbers."

They share info, say thanks to the cop, and watch him speed off with Will. The two of the continue to walk home.

"That was weird," Jarrett says.