Chapter Thirty-four - Departure

Chapter Thirty-four

Departure

Their "last meal" was amazing. Mona had brought a low table and three stools into her library and they ate in the diffuse glow of sunset. The table was set with an array of breads, fruits, cheeses and dried meats. The main attraction, however, were the two jars of rapture fig preserves. Mona was correct in stating that age improved its flavor. Not a slice of warm, dark bread went without a generous spoonful of jam. Lincoln, who had always craved the bubbly Cherry Ace soda, found his desire curbed by the rich, complex flavor of the aged fruit.

When the pace of their feasting slowed, Mona asked about the orchard and her old home. Kayleigh described what they'd encountered, comparing it to their previous visit. Lincoln told Mona about Victoria and their brief meeting with Jason. The news seemed to bother the older woman.

"Did Jason happen to see the girl's musical device? Did she tell her father about the message?"

Lincoln looked over at Kayleigh, but she only shrugged, saying, "I don't think so. At least, she didn't say she did."

"She got in trouble for coming to see us, though," Lincoln added. "I got the impression she was keeping all of it a secret."

"Good," Mona said, relaxing a bit. "I don't know what Jason Tompkins would have done if he'd seen Trader tech like that."

"It was pretty cool, but it was still only a media player," Kayleigh said. "I'm sure Stitch came across stuff even more advanced while he was here."

"Yes, that's true," Mona sighed. "But such things have only been mildly tolerated in Burnam Tau'roh. The families who have lived here the longest don't trust the technology of your world and others. Truman Stitch made it all the worse by opening even more doors. Lincoln, your brother David hid what he was doing not only because of Stitch. After he left, your sisters disposed of all his things."

"You've spoken with them?" Lincoln asked, leaning forward.

"Of course! They've been here a time or two since you left," Mona said. "Beautiful young ladies. Very polite."

"Wait a minute," Kayeigh said. "They were here a few times? We were only gone for… what, Lincoln? Two months?"

Lincoln thought on it for a moment, then nodded."About that long," he said, "Our time in the past plus our time in the Valley."

Kayleigh turned to Mona, "How much time passed here since we left?"

Mona set down her wooden goblet of water and regarded her granddaughter. "From my perspective, it's been about three years since you and Lincoln entered the door at the top of the lighthouse."

They stared at Mona, unable for a time to speak.

"That explains why things have changed so much, then," Lincoln said. "Why it's so quiet and why the train isn't running."

"There simply isn't anyone around anymore, my dears," Mona said wearily. "This amazing place is truly falling asleep. Even Ceca Hebona, where your sisters live, is growing quiet. The Traders, as well, have moved on.”

Lincoln was glad they hadn't spoken until after most of their dinner was done. He no longer had an appetite. Kayleigh, hands in her lap, felt the same.

The russet light from the window had slowly turned to a cool plum. The day was nearly done.

Mona stood and knelt slowly before them.

"I won't lie to either of you," she said. "I don't want you to go. If I believed there was some way I could stop this, I would. I’ve spoken to the de’Malange and offered to go in your place, but they won't have it. It has to be you." These last words, oddly, were directed at Kayleigh.