Interesting first impressions

The Prancing Pony was teeming with possible victims. They were so careless with their possessions after a couple jugs of Ale. The perfect prey for people like myself.

Some people would call me a thief, however I like to think of myself as someone who would appreciate certain things more than others, like jewellery, currency, the occasional pocket watch. If it is easy to take it from you, then you shouldn't have had it in the first place.

I watched the customers from my corner of the dimly lit pub, listening to their terrible punchlines, story telling and the usual over exaggerated greetings to old friends.

I spied a hooded figure moving toward the opposite end of the warm room, sitting down at a table for two. A waitress approached him, and I could finally make out his features, previously hidden under his cloak.

He had long raven hair with trails of silver through it, from the top of his head aswell as his jaw. Braids and beads were spotted here and there. His piercing hooded grey eyes searched the pub before his attention was caught by the waitress, who had returned with his food.

I saw a couple of men shifting in the corner of my eye. It seemed the newcomer had also caught their gaze. I watched as they both patted their pockets. I rolled my eyes. Their behaviour was literally a universal sign for "I have a weapon, and I'm planning to use it against you.". I'm not a fan of such violence, too messy. Assault is for the simple minded, I prefer something with a little more flare.

Before they could get close enough to Raven, my nickname for the newcomer, another character joined the party. A very tall character, dressed in a grey cloak and pointed hat. The two idiots shied away, probably preferring to engage in a two on one fight. Cowards.
I think I'll distract them from Raven and Grey's, what looks to be important, conversation.

Forming a plan within a couple of minutes, I make my way over to the bar, near the overwhelmed looking waitress.

"Excuse me, are you alright? You're looking a little flushed." I say to her, making my brown eyes wide, to portray the picture of innocence and concern.

I watched as she sighed. "It's just a little hectic tonight, I only started last week, I'm not used to this many people at once!" She goes wide-eyed. "Oh! I apologise, I don't mean to moan."

I shake my head sympathetically. "Nevermind that, I know exactly what you mean! I used to work at the "Boiled Pot" over the opposite side of town, terribly overwhelming some nights, especially when there's not many help!"
I could see her eyes light up a bit. Manipulation isn't too hard when you know how to establish common ground with the mark.

"I've asked the owner to hire more staff, but he's so stingy! Wants to keep as much money as he can in his grubby little hands."

"You do look like you need help..."

She looked sideways at me, her blue eyes enquiring. "Perhaps, would you consider maybe.... As you already have experience with this sort of thing...?"

Bingo. "Are you asking me to work with you?"

"I'd give you half of my pay! I just can't deal with this by myself tonight, even if you could just take orders for me-"

"Have you a spare apron?"

"You- you'll do it?" She gasped.

"You need it. Apron?" I tie up my chestnut locks.

"Yes, yes you can use my spare! My names Agatha, but I prefer Aggy. You are?"

I winked. "You can call me Angel."

Phase one, complete.

*************************************