Capvt XXVIII: Digging for the Bones

"All causes shall give way: I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er."

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Capvt XXVIII: Digging for the Bones 

(Alternatively: Diggin' For Dem Bones)

THE instant Percy could see the ocean, he knew something was wrong with it. The first tip off to his deduction was that he couldn't hear the cry of seagulls; another was that the ocean was this strange, sickly, green color— like it had been overrun with that stuff that grew on still lakes and bred mosquitoes. But that was impossible, because from his observations, the oceans was always moving, always changing.

Jason hissed under his breath, like he wanted to turn on his heel and run all the way back to Tarentum despite the long walk to see what they were looking at. Percy wasn't sure he would try to stop him— in fact, he might just chase after him.

"This place makes me sick to my stomach." Malcolm muttered under his breath. Jason murmured, not exactly agreeing, but not disagreeing either. Percy wanted to agree with Malcolm, but they couldn't because they had come this far, and he wasn't about to turn back now. Besides, his curiosity was greater than his fear—something that Reyna had often complained about when they were younger.

So he sighed, because he knew he would have to goad them all into marching on somewhat.

"You're not scared, are you?" He said. Malcolm rolled his eyes, but he shook his head to the contrary of his provocation. He had arrived to the conclusion that humans were prideful creatures thanks to all the scrolls he had read.

So they continued marching on. And on. And on...

~...~

No waves crashed. Instead, the water sucked and hissed, pulling back slowly and swelling, before slapping the rocks ahead of the tide's turning.

Percy's head spun just looking at it— he felt like it was going to pull him into the water— and bile rose in the back of his throat with a burning sensation. Gulping it back, he breathed in through his nose instead of his mouth. But instead of the tangy scent of salt water, he smelled decaying fish. It's odor was more like a lake, rather than the great big ocean. His head turned round and round in circles even faster than before, and the world lurched out from underneath his feet.

"Percy?" Jason sounded worried, and there was a feather light touch on his elbows. Probably steadying him, or maybe to catch him if he keeled over completely, Percy deduced. "Are you okay? Is the smell getting to you?"

"I'm fine," he lied through gritted teeth. He hated appearing weak to other people— especially his friends. He shook his head, but that only made his head spin worse and a pressure had begun to build up in there. He wanted to groan out loud—he felt like he was sick, only worse.

"Right." Jason didn't sound like he completely believed him, but he never called him out on it. He never did, and that was why he was his friend.

After some time had passed, and the dizziness had faded, Percy stood again. His head ached, but he pretended that nothing was wrong with him, so Jason and Malcolm wouldn't ask questions. He figured it was just a case of dizziness anyway, from the sudden change of climate. Besides, he was Heir Apparent—this was beneath him. He would squash away all human illnesses through sheer willpower, because he could.

Unfortunately, as they crossed over sand and pebbles, Percy realized that he might not be able to push this bout of nausea away through sheer human willpower, especially as the infernal dizziness grew worse. Malcolm swore loudly, suddenly, and Percy swung around just in time to see him slip and fall. Jason laughed.