Chapter Five: I Forget It's My Birthday

Chapter Five

I Forget It's My Birthday

After a few days, the kickball game has become old news, so whatever glory my team gained from that is dying out. I don't care, it's just kickball. As fun as it was to beat Billy and his goons in the game, I have more important things to occupy my mind. Like trying to remember the time I'd touched some golden ball at a museum. I can't even remember going to a museum, let alone touching some weird ball while I was there.

The strangest thing is Fiona hasn't so much as looked at me. I try saying hi to her, but she just hides her face and runs away, or she completely ignores me when we work with the younger kids. Something changed when she hugged me that day. Yeah, it was a little awkward, but that shouldn't mean we can't be friends.

"Jefferey, can you come up and finish the problem on the board?" Miss O says, breaking my trance. Why do I always space out about Fiona when I need to pay attention in class?

I look up and see the math problem she has written out on the board. It's a simple multiplication problem. I leave my desk and walk up to the whiteboard, grab the blue dry-erase marker and write down the answer in the appropriate spot.

"Very good, thank you Jefferey."

"Thank you, Jefferey," Billy's mocking voice comes from the back of the classroom. He said it just loud enough for me to hear. Fortunately, I'm right next to Miss O, who shoots Billy a glare. With a smirk, I return to my seat behind Fiona. I happen to catch her eye as I walk back up the aisle so, I smiled at her but she just blushes and hides her face from me. That's all I can take; I have to talk to her after our lessons that day. Nothing will stop me.

After classes are done, I gather my stuff up quickly so I can catch Fiona before she gets too far away. As I turn for the door, Billy bumps into me, hard enough to knock my books out of my hands.

"Oops," he says, laughing as he walks out of the classroom, Marco and Allaryce in his wake.

Growling under my breath, I hastily pick up my spilled books and papers and hurry out of the room. I can't see Fiona anywhere. Billy's laugh reaches my ears and I turn in his direction, unable to stop myself from reacting. Dropping my stuff in the hall, I surge forward and grab him by the collar of his shirt, pinning him against the wall.

"Let go, Jeffy," he threatens, trying to sound tougher than his scared face looks.

"Where's Fiona?" I demand; I don't know why I ask him, but it flies out of my mouth before I can stop it.

"I don't know," he says, angry at the accusation. I glare at him, wanting to punch his lights out, but we're broken up by Miss O before I get the chance.

"What's going on here?" she demands, pulling us apart.

"Ask Jeffy. He lost his girlfriend," Allaryce says, causing my face to turn hot with anger.

"Jefferey?" Miss O asks, shocked that I'd started this altercation.

I let go of Billy and start to walk away. Miss O grabs me firmly by the shoulder, keeping me from going any farther. I stop and let out a frustrated sigh.

"My office, now," she commands.

"But-" Billy starts to say automatically.

"Not you, Billy. Go to lunch." I look back.

Billy's confused expression turns to a pleased grin, stirring my anger even more. I can't stand this. The way Fiona's acting is making me act crazy and Billy is eating it up. He laughs as he heads for the cafeteria with Marco and Allaryce.