part 1

Damn...

How long has it been? 

A year?

How long must I wait?

Jane is a girl. That's right, just a typical girl who longed to see her ever loving boyfriend who vanished one morning without a single trace. It's already 2 o’clock in the morning but Jane is still in her own room. It's a little cramp there she thought. considering that their original house (where they can sleep, eat, cook, and bathe) is only on the second floor because the first floor is a cafeteria, somewhat like a little restaurant. 

She sits still and numb, the time passing by unnoticed as her body quietly waits for the boy she loves. Seconds run in to minutes which slip in to hours... In a daze she lays her head on her arm, unseeing, as she stares out of the window. The people passing by their house, whether it is a friend or a gorgeous man, didn’t even catch her attention.

"Dammit Jane! How many times do I have to tell you that HE WILL NEVER come back? Instead of locking yourself there, why don’t you help this mother of yours serve food to the damn customers!” Her mom yelled.

Michael, her younger brother interrupted, “Shut it old hag, It’s not like yelling will make her listen. They’ve been together since forever. One loss after another, of course she’s still in shock.” 

It’s been a year. I just hope she’ll be over it sooner or later... hey wait a minute what did you say?!” She shouted, realizing the words of her seven year old son.

"Nothin?" he replied, trying to act all innocent.

Her father has been ill for a long time and she loved her father very much. He was the one who patiently raised her and filled her with love when her mother was still working overseas before they created the younger one.  So when her father’s time was up and had to leave her, it brought her great pain. She felt betrayed. He promised to be by her side and walk her down the aisle when she get married. But Jack, her boyfriend, was the only one who was able to soothe away the pain she felt. It happened a year ago too.

It was summer when he died. And then four months later he left. Jack left. Jane has been living with her mother and her seven year old younger brother since her father died.  Even with the absence of her father, and a crappy two storey house, they managed to survive.

  ---------------------------------JANE'S POV----------------------------------

"Can you believe that? How could you do this to me Jack? Really, that's just selfish! Leaving me without a single word, not even a single note? Where the hell did you go? I really can't believe you would do this to me." I shouted to no one in particular.

I started helping mom at our cafeteria. I shouldn't atleast be a burden to them right? I mean, I've had my fair share of time to process things and I've always been there in my room, waiting and unmoving. One year is enough, I think it really is more than enough. God it would be very selfish of me if I still don't move my ass off.

I served our customers, asked them what they wanna eat and cleaned the tables. 

I saw my friends and wow, they waved at me and asked how I've been doing but I was still surprised.  

I'm surprised to see how they physically changed. Gorgeous, I thought. They were so pretty that I suddenly wanted to look at myself in the mirror. If I didn't stop studying, I would probably be graduating this year. I realized that I missed a lot of things. Things that are supposed to happen to me this year. 

But even if I started doing things again, I don't want to give up on waiting. I believe in him. He's been with me since we were kids. We're childhood friends. We've been friends since we were kids. Our mothers're friends. You could even say that we've been friends since fetus. 

Ugh. Great.

I'm such an Idiot. Who would wait for a person who suddenly left like a bubble. Disappeared in a single pop?

My friends left and i'ts already evening. I wanted to see myself so I went back inside. Beside the entrance door, there's a mirror attached to the wall. There, on the other side of the mirror, I saw a girl. A thin, old looking girl.

Funny, I looked so ugly that I couldn't even explain how I looked anymore. I was such a total disaster, pale and dull. My hair's like a sticky bird nest. As I was looking at myself, I glanced outside. There I caught a glimpse of that thing. It's a paper, I guessed. A mail envelope.

Thinking that it may just be another bill reminding my family that we should pay soon, I ignored it.

But something's itching inside my mind. That thing which makes you hope or think that it MIGHT be what you HOPE it is. It's the thought that fills you with maybes and what ifs. But MIGHT surely and strongly disappoint you after finding out what it is. It's just the feeling of disappointment afterwards. It's not like I'll lose anything after finding out what it is right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO BE CONTINUED