CHAPTER 4

There was little time to sleep once the Black Death had taken its first steps on their soil. Angus had deducted by now that it was being carried in by the ships. He'd voiced his concerns to the authorities and was granted permission to study every single vessel that reached their shores. It was a tedious job but Angus took pleasure in it. He also profited from it. Ships were thoroughly inspected which meant that anything forbidden by the law of the land was confiscated. Having Marshall as his partner, the two formed their own sort of clandestine market.

Angus collected many other things for his "extra" room filling it with items that would fulfill his darker needs. He had a keen eye for interrogation pieces and began to amass a fine quantity of them. He stood there gazing at them on display. The rack he built to house them all was perfect. It was the center piece that held his reverence the most. He picked it up and held it in his hands. Etched into the crude metal was the phrase "Quae nocent docent".

Angus smiled and translated it aloud, "What hurts, teaches."

It was perfect.

After letting its weight sit in his hands for a bit longer, he placed the Heretic's Fork back on the rack and exited the room. He had another call to make. This time to the home of a Baron on the far countryside. Angus had Marshall prepare their horses while he readied himself. The death toll had increased tenfold since John passed. Clair followed soon after by the days which placed Eleanor, Murielle and Robert in the care of Paul Kingsley. His chances with Morrigan were increasing. The financial burden on the Kingsley home was growing in its burden and Paul was feeling the pressure to marry his daughter off before her dowry dwindled away.

Marshall was walking around upstairs. Angus could hear his footsteps on the floorboards and see the dust particles drifting down in the cellar where he was standing. Angus locked the door and made sure it was secure before he went upstairs to begin his journey to the Baron's home. Marshall stood by the front entrance. He was dressed in a long coat, similar to Angus'. Since he accompanied the doctor on so many calls now the two decided that it was in the best interest of them both if he was also protected.

"The horses are ready." Marshall informed him.

Angus nodded and handed off the black medical back to his partner and pulled his wide-brimmed hat off out of the wardrobe. He placed it ontop of his head and secured his spectacles around the back of his ear. Marshall was always fascinated with the eye glass invention, and watched as he affixed them. The thickness of the glass made Angus' eyes appear larger and brighter than they were. The doctor went through a mental checklist then signaled that he was ready. The two left the physician's home and walked out to the stable where the horses were tethered and waiting.

It was a half day's ride out to the countryside. When they arrived they noticed that the property was already in disarray. Bales of hay lay haphazardly across the lawn and animals seemed to be roaming unattended. Marshall slowed the gait of the horse and peered toward the large stone country house. The Baron was originally from France but moved here with the King's permission once the Black Death had claimed over half of the population. Marshall relayed to Angus that the Baron was married to the King's fifth cousin, Amber, in an arranged marriage when she was barely fifteen. The Baron was twice her age and rumored to be sadistic, even to his new, young bride.

"I'll ride up ahead and scout the area." Marshall offered.

Angus didn't argue.

The physician walked his horse in slow procession past the wooden fence which established the boundary between the road and the grazing lawn. Angus could hear the clopping of hooves from Marshall's horse when he trotted off but the doctor's attention was on a dark spot about half an acre away. With reins in hand, he guided the horse around the fence and over to the area to investigate. Upon closer exam, he saw the bodies of five men piled on top of one another. They were the house servants. He could tell by their clothing.