16. thank god

"Where do you want to go?"

"Retina I told you-"

"Is Retina a thing now? Is that my name now?" Iris' questions came out in a tone that was coated in laughter.

"Well I don't know, I like it. You can't really nickname Iris."

"That's not my fault."

"Never said it was."

They delved into silence as Iris glared playfully at him from her seated position on the couch next to him, her legs strewn across his, his fingers stroking her thighs and knees carefully. Calum smirked at her and pinched above her knee, making her squeal and her leg to spasm uncontrollably.

"Don't do that," Iris laughed, "anyway as I was saying, where do you want to go for this date?"

"And as I was saying before you rudely interrupted," he laughed and she stuck her tongue out at him, "I told you this is your date, you can make the decisions."

"I don't want to make decisions, please Cal, help me." Iris grinned and he shoved her legs gently.

"Well we could go out for dinner? Go to the park? Drive-in movie?" Calum rattled off choices, and Iris shook her head at the suggestions, not in the mood for anything of them. "Or we could just stay in," Calum moved to put his head in her neck, his lips making contact with the sensitive skin on her throat, "order some takeout," he grabbed the back of her head, his fingers wrapping around her hair and pulling her head back further, "watch a movie," his breath hit her throat and she couldn't hold back the quiet moan that escaped between her full lips.

"That sounds- uh - amazing." Iris managed to get the words out.

"Which part?" Calum said, a smile on his lips as he sat back from her, her throat already feeling bare without his warmth there.

"All of it." Iris ran her hands through his hair, before settling her hands on the back of his neck and leaning in to kiss him quickly against the lips. "You decide the food, I'll pick the movie."

Calum grinned at her in the close proximity they were sharing, his eyes flicking down to her full lips. He leaned in to kiss her on the end of the nose and she giggled, "c'mon let's go then."

********************

A viewing of Madagascar, four dishes of Thai food and several kisses and cuddles later; Iris extracted herself from the crook of Calum's neck and pushed herself back to watch his now sleeping form. Their legs were entangled together in a way that Iris couldn't comprehend how she would untangle herself, even if she wanted to (which she didn't). She smiled once more as she looked at his fluttering eyelids as he dreamed, and as he shifted and snored quietly in his sleep, she curled up closer to him and her eyes closed again with the overwhelming happiness she felt.

She didn't know what she was going to do about her relationship with Calum when she was expected to go back to Minnesota. She yearned with every fibre of her being to not have to go back, but she didn't know what she could do in California either; but at least Calum would be in California. If she got out of Uni and got a job in California, then that would make sense to stay here, she knew her family would still be furious. Her parents would be so furious at her, but as she settled further into Calum's side and felt his arms circle her further, she knew it would be worth it.

Hours passed and Iris woke once more from her sleep only to be welcomed by the empty couch stretching out next to her and beneath her, the leather cold where it was once warmed by his body. She sat up as she smelled the fresh scent of brewing coffee and pastry and her stomach growled in response to the heavenly smells that violated her senses. She heard Calum bustling around the kitchen and singing to himself, his voice causing the breath in her throat to catch and a smile to cross her face.
She swung her legs off the couch and walked towards the kitchen, the angelic singing she was hearing only growing closer and closer, until she was faced with Calum's shirtless back. His shoulder muscles tensed and moved under the skin as he bustled around the kitchen and as he danced around to the music he was singing to.