~Chapter Eight~

"Blair? Can I come in?" Colonel Raff's voice sounded through my bedroom door.

"Go away!" I yelled at her. She and Daniel were the last two people I wanted to see at the moment. I buried my face into my pillow.

The door knob clicked open, and footsteps sounded on the floor. The weight on my mattress shifted, and I felt a warm body next to me. A warm hand rested itself on my bare back.

"Blair, we didn't mean it. Really," Colonel Raff told me. I lifted my head from my pillow and looked at her incredulously.

"Ya, and I totally want to be here," I shot back sarcastically. I buried myself back into my pillow, so I wouldn't have to see Colonel Raff. She sighed.

"I'm sorry about what we said. I uh... I didn't know you were listening." She fumbled over her words.

"You don't mean it," I retorted, my voice muffled in the pillow.

Colonel Raff patted my back a few times. "Well, if you're not going accept my apology and listen to me, at least hear this: today was just the first day. It means nothing. Go back tomorrow and prove us wrong." With those simple, two sentences, I felt a weight leave my mattress, and a few seconds after that, I heard a door open and shut.

I lifted my head again. Colonel Raff was gone. Heaving a sigh, I laid my head down and closed my eyes, sleep pulling into its welcoming arms.