The River Party

When she got to the little camp she walked past the tents, some of the sailors bowed their heads as she passed, she continued on towards the boat walking up the plank, she ran to her cabin and shut the door falling onto the bed, her head now pounding and her heart full of confusion, she fell into a very deep and dreamless sleep.

When she awoke she felt much better the headache had gone. She rearranged her wig and her crumpled white linen gown and went out onto the deck where she saw the little burning fires of the camp.

 Khepri laughed out loud as she saw Ebony dancing with the captain whilst the sailors cheered and made rude remarks. A small group of about four men played the drums and sang. Khepri made her way to join the festivities. Ebony upon seeing her broke away quickly from the captain and came striding over flushed and breathless.

 Khepri giggled.

 "Looks like you're enjoying yourself" she laughed as Ebony's face turned even redder. Ebony handed her some Shedeh in a little wooden cup. 

"Thank you," she said taking a small sip letting the taste of the grapes swirl around her mouth. Khepri looked around at all the sailors smiling faces then back at Ebony "what's going on? why are we celebrating? Are we nearly at the temple?" 

 A look crossed Ebony's face, one that Khepri hadn't seen before "tell me Eb!" she demanded frowning at her handmaiden "I don't think you will like it. We have had some news from Pharaoh's court" Khepri stood still, her hand tightening instantly around the little wooden cup, she knew what it was before Ebony could say it "they have married, haven't they?" she whispered as she felt an ache in her chest.

 Ebony watched silently, then nodded slowly "I promised him, I would be at the wedding!" Khepri cried feeling tears fill her eyes. Ebony looked at her intently before quietly speaking "You love him, don't you?" Khepri frowned, ignoring the ache in her chest and the strange feelings swirling within her, her confusion returning along with the headache "No, he is my best friend that's all, but I made a promise and now I have broken it, that's what hurts me Eb" she said still trying to fight back the tears that threatened to spill. Ebony stood still, watching her reaction closely "Well for someone who claims not to love him you sure act like you do" Khepri stumbled back, still clutching the cup, maybe she did, she felt so confused, if she did then why did she have that vision from earlier, it sprung unbidden back into her mind as if to torture her. Did she even know what love felt like, what was love, and if this was love why did she feel so rotten and confused, surely it should be simple?

Getting angry with herself, wouldn't give her an answer, she thought. " I don't know Eb, I'm conflicted" still not wanting to reveal her vision. As she looked at the dancing sailors and the laughing captain "so what if I do Eb, what difference does it even make. I am to be a priestess and he is to be the next Pharaoh, he needs a princess to stand beside him and besides he sees me as just a friend and that's all, they both do" with that she downed her drink staring at the empty cup.

 Ebony reached out touching her hand gently "Do you really believe that? I have seen the way he looks at you, at the way both the princes look at you" startled for a moment, Khepri didn't know what to say to Ebony's statement but her mind wouldn't allow her heart to believe she could be worthy of such love so she shook her head quickly taking her hand away.

 " Yes, I truly believe that and I am happy for him and I hope that Prehir also finds a..." she suddenly found she couldn't finish the sentence, the thought of Prehir marrying someone else, made her heartache, so instead she forced a smile onto her face." Come on Eb, let's celebrate honestly I will be fine" Ebony raised an eyebrow but said nothing more on the subject. The rest of that night Khepri tried to ignore her hurting heart and danced and sang with the rest of the sailors.