Chapter 48

Sorry I haven't written, I've been busy, and frankly... I've been feeling uninspired. (writer's block) but I owe it to you all to finish this. :) xox

--

When I wake up, it's as if I'm inside a hazy dream. Someone is gently shaking my shoulder and whispering my name, but I block it out for awhile. All I want to do is to sink back into sleep.

“Peeta,” the voice calls again, and I groan, slinging my arm over my eyes to block out the light. It takes a few more moments of coaxing before I finally open one bleary eye to see Katniss's face looming over mine. Her hair cascades down, tickling my nose, and I crinkle my nose, trying not to sneeze, until the light coming from the opening of the cave catches my eye. I stare at it, alarmed, mentally calculating the time that has elapsed. I was supposed to wake up during the night so Katniss could have her rest!

“I'm so sorry,” I gush out quickly. “You should have woken me up!”

She yawns and smiles a weary smile. “It's okay, just wake me up if anything happens, alright?”

I nod my head in response, but she's already drifted off to sleep. I settle myself against the cool wall of the cave, picking up some of the leftover meat from yesterday. Hunger gnaws at my stomach and I finish it off quickly before eyeing the rest of meat, wrapped neatly in leaves to keep it fresh. Although my stomach growls, I refuse to eat it, deciding to wait until Katniss wakes up.

It's quiet, almost too quiet, and I'm suddenly anxious, a foreboding feeling settling around me. The air is hot and dry, but it seems to compress upon me, the heat of midday coming unnaturally earlier than it's supposed to. I take a swig of water, which seems to calm my nerves, but even then, I cannot stop wringing my hands. I pace to the opening of the cave multiple times, covertly peering out to see if Cato is near. Surprisingly, he has yet to make an appearance. Perhaps he's waiting for us to come to him.

Although the sun can barely be seen over the horizon, the sky is already a vibrant orange, complemented by the penetrating heat the Gamemakers have probably set. Even through a tattered shirt, I feel myself sweating. I sit down in a dark corner of the cave and put my head between my knees, taking deep breaths and trying to rid myself of the anxious feeling that seems to come from deep within me. Somewhere inside, I know it. Today is the day. The day where we either live or we die.

To the side of me, Katniss has fought her way out of the sleeping bag. The heat has probably gotten to her, too, as she lays on the sleeping bag, one arm slung casually over her head and her leg kicking at the restraining fabric. I unzip the sleeping bag all the way and she stops fidgeting, sighing contently and rolling over on her stomach. Her cheek is smushed flat against the cool floor of the cave and I chuckle at how cute and innocent she looks, despite the tangled mass that is her hair and the long streak of dirt running down her cheek.

When I get up, my muscles are stiff from being bunched up in the same position for such a long time, and I stretch, smiling as my back cracks and all the tension is relieved. I shuffle around the cave, a sense of gloom spreading over me. This is undoubtedly the last day we will have to spend in the cave, and although I am desperate to get out of here, I'm still going to miss it. For the past few days, it has been a home and a shelter to me. I gather all our belongings into a pile in the corner, clearing the floor of the cave, and then I walk to the fire and sit down, staring into it pensively. It has gone out, and there isn't even one glowing ember left, but the heat of the afternoon is warm enough. A twig has fallen out of the pile of charred sticks, and I place it back into the pile of ashes absentmindedly. My eyes sweep the cave, trying to memorize every last bit of it- the way the fire flickered on the walls as Katniss first kissed me, the warm cozy feeling I got when I first woke up to find the girl of my dreams by my side. This cave was our sanctuary inside this hellhole, and I vow to myself never to forget it.