A New Start with Old Scars

The drive from West Virginia back to Jersey was long. I was supposed to take a plane, but the only other time I have been on a plane was my original trip back from West Virginia almost two years ago.
Brendon thought seeing Gerard again would scar me back into the shell I was when I first got out. But the prosecuting attorney, a stern woman, convinced him to stop trying to let me not go, especially alone. Even without his blessing, I would have.
I arrive at home about 8 hours after I had left. I open the front door and almost immediately walk into the arms of Brendon. I breathe in his nice musky aroma.
"So... the trial?" Brendon asks tenatively.
"He was charged guilty with second degree murder and kidnapping. Life without parole," I say, crossing our apartment into the bedroom. My father died of alcohol poisoning two weeks after I was abducted, and apparently had a large amount of money he was saving for me. After Brendon and I graduated high school we decided to get a place in one of the nicer areas of New Jersey. Sadly, it's only temporary, as Brendon got accepted into Juilliard for their Winter semester for music composition.
I'm going to New York with him. I've been asked to write a book about the six and a half months I spent with Gerard. I started awhile ago but I can't exactly find the words to say. How do I paint the man who gave me the will to live as a monster? I know that's what they expect. All of them, even Brendon.
Later that night, Brendon falls asleep while we're on the couch watching TV. My mind is drifting, and I remember how Gerard's face lit up when I was on the witness stand, seeing me.
I also remember a man telling me how sorry he was. He introduced himself as Micheal Way, the brother of my abductor. He let loose a string of apologies and blamed himself for not visiting his brother enough even though he knew something was wrong.
I wanted to be mad at him, but all I said was that he shouldn't blame himself.
I found out the cashier from the AM/PM had a large family. His name was Ali Agarwal. All 5 of his children gave me a hug. That's the only time I cried during my two weeks there.

When I heard that Gerard was being sent to prison for the rest of his life, I was incredibly happy, but not for reasons you may think. His complete utter loneliness led him to kidnap me. Now, he'll always be surrounded by people to talk to, even if they hate him.

My eyes begin to close and I lean my head against Brendon's shoulder. Our entire lives are spent running away from loneliness. I think Gerard can finally rest now, and so can I.