Chapter 25: Death Comes to Court (new inclusion)

Guards stormed into the hallway at the monk's scream. Elizabeth summoned a ward of protection to shield Drake from the Nightfather. It was a bright stream that formed a transparent wall, thinner than a sheet of ice, yet stronger than a castle's wall. The man who had once appeared to be Brother Benedict broke the shield, and it scattered on the floor like crusts of ice.

A great force lashed Drake to the wall. His back slammed hard, bones creaking at his joints. He looked down to see the eyes of the Nightfather upon him, a violet glow in the partial darkness.

"She lives in you, doesn't she?" his voice sounded.

Guards came at the man, thrusting their spears, going for the kill. He released his hold on Drake, lashing one of the guards to the roof with a simple wave of his hand and then released him to slam hard on the floor. The guard broke his neck on impact, dead in seconds.

The others pulled back in fear, spear held to a position of retreat.

Drake would not have believed if he had not witnessed the Nightfather switch from one bond to a blood-sigil to another that favoured him. There was no burnt rune on the man's palm. Yet he commanded the magic of bloodwielders in ways that defied the laws that guarded them. How did he know of the woman? Drake thought, how did he know of the Lady of Light?

Drake willed his blood-bond, burning the sigil of Destruction. He had to match fire with fire. More guards trooped into the hall, standing behind Elizabeth. These were the King's First Companions--Bloodwielders clad in full silver plate armours, brandishing lances twice the height of a man. Their cloaks trailed red behind at their backs as they stood in a formation alongside Elizabeth.

"Are these all the guards the palace can spear?" Drake glanced at the Captain of the guards.

"The others are evacuating the nobles from the palace court, my prince. This is all we can spare."

"Who stands guard at my father's side?"

"Prince William and Edward," the Captain replied.

Both boys seemed more than capable of protecting the King if spawns of the Nightfather had infiltrated the palace defenses. Drake grabbed an ornamental spear hanging on the Wall of Heroes and the length came ablaze with the fires of Destruction magic.

"Your bond with Her is impressive," the Nightfather said, "now I understand why my daughter, Shadowstealer, had failed. But you, you can be more than a mere servant to nations. I can make you to become greater."

"You destroy lives," Drake snarled, twirling his spear.

Guards from the First Companions charged at the Nightfather, merging their attacks with Drake's, a song of spears, deadly, quick, and purposeful. At the soft whispers of blade cutting through air, the old man spun like a whirlwind and dashed across the wall, escaping the plethora of spearheads sent his way.

Elizabeth found herself at the other end, alone with the Nightfather. She summoned a ward of protection immediately, out of self-preservation rather than as an offensive measure. But the man seemed to bare no interest in her.

The Nightfather pulled the Captain of the guards towards him. The sole of the guard's boots scratched the ground in resistance, but the force pulling him was powerful and unnatural. He reached the old man and the Captain thrust with his spear. Cold fingers wrapped around the steel length of the Captains spear holding it still. Whitish frost grew quickly on the metallic length until it reached the Captain's fingers, freezing him in seconds.