five - police station

Chapter Five

I can't say I'd ever seriously envisaged what my life would turn out like. The stuff you dream of when you're younger isn't anything serious. Considering I used to want to be a pony, I wouldn't class that as a solid future plan. However, at that age I had definitely thought about high school. Delusional, I was under the impression that when I was in junior year I'd have gone to my fair share of parties, met a perfect boy, have perfect grades and never get into any trouble.

It was easy to plan things. Following through with said plans was another story.

If you told eight year old me that in another eight years time I'd be a party virgin, scared senseless of any form of physical contact, was failing math class and was sitting in the police station wrapped in a trauma blanket next to Parker Heywood... Well, at that age I think I'd have hid in my garden shed for the rest of time with my teddy bear for company.

***

"Can you stop fiddling with my hair? It's annoying." I huffed for what felt like the hundredth time since we left the park and sat on the bench just outside of it. I was no longer on my swing because it no longer worked. Parker had eventually wanted a shot on the one adjacent to mine (he claimed his bum had grown numb sitting on the ground) which had ended up giving way under the strain of his weight. Convinced that it wasn't his fault but the swing's and irritated at me for making fun of his fall, he forced me off my own. Long story short, the both of them now sat broken.

"But I'm bored." He whined like a kid, giving one last tug at my hair (I think he originally set out on tying it up but seemed to get confused half way through, handing back my hair tie and twirling it around his fingers instead). "And anyway, you don't seem to mind me touching your hair as much."

"That's different," I quickly dismissed. "But maybe if you hadn't broken the only working thing in that crappy park with your fat ass then you'd have something more entertaining to do rather than put tangled knots in my hair."

He scowled at me. "A man's ego is fragile. You have to nurture it, not injure it."

I gave him a look and we both lapsed into silence. Honestly, I had no idea why I was even here with him. It had been a split second decision; to escape the place with Parker instead of having to face my boss. All I'd done was delay the inevitable and in the process, aided a Twinkie thief who had not only tipped over half of the racks in the supermarket, but had now broken a children's swing set.

"I'm going to be fired." I voiced my thoughts, hitting my scraped sneaker toes together in front of me. I wasn't really bothered about it per se, it wasn't that I particularly liked that job, but the fact that I would be losing it because of him really pushed my buttons.

Who did he think he was, acting all high and mighty, suddenly charging into my life thinking far too much of himself and changing things? And what's more, he thought he could touch me. He persistently continued in his attempts even though we both knew they were futile.

"No you won't," Parker stated in a matter-of-fact tone. "It wasn't your fault, it was mine. If that dick fires you then so help me god I'll fucking smash his skull-"

"Please refrain yourself from smashing skulls. Think happy thoughts like-" I struggled to grasp an idea of happiness as he looked at me expectantly. "Like kittens playing with balls of yarn."

"Girl afraid of touching, you are very cute." He tapped me on the nose to which I glared in response and swatted his hand away.

"Boy who won't leave me alone, if you continue to touch me then you soon won't be able to have any children because I'll have kicked you so god damned hard."