Doctor Who: The Drosten's Curse - by A.L. Kennedy

I spotted this on the "new fiction" shelf at the library, and internally freaked out because DOCTOR WHO NOVEL. I didn't even know these existed.

However, I assumed that a book based on the show, written by some random author who never even worked on the show made this book questionable at first glance. Movies based on books generally suck eggs, so I would assume the opposite would be the same.

But it wasn't! This book was AWESOME. At many points, I enjoyed it even more than the actual show, because we were able to get deep inside each character's head. Doctor Who fans have all watched the companion step inside the TARDIS with that awed look on their face. This was the fist time I ever got to see their actual thought process as they did so. And with just every scene, being able to see their thoughts alongside the cinematic-type actions was an experience unlike any other. I was beaming at the book because it was so cool to see the exact thoughts running through the companions' heads as they met the Doctor for the first time.

And the writing style was just PERFECT for DW. Funny, light, quirky, rambling. It was exactly what I'd expect and more of Doctor Who in novel format. The author commanded such a strong and witty voice that did justice to the feel of the show. The play on words and the way she twisted the meanings of things was a pleasure to read and just what I'd expect from the Doctor.

The plot was your typical Doctor Who aliens-wreaking-havok-on-earth. People are getting sucked into a golf bunker (sandpit) and never heard from again. The Doctor (Tom Baker's incarnation) arrives to investigate, aided by new companions Bryony and an alien named Putta.

The pacing kind of slowed down toward the middle. I was halfway through the book and thought it was about to be over, but then there's still half the book left... Not that nothing happened in the second half, on the contrary. But the pacing wasn't completely smooth. Just a small nitpick if I had to find something to criticize. It really was a well-developed plot otherwise, with many interesting side characters and subplots.

The Doctor actually took quite a step back, and Putta was what you'd call the main chacter. He's THE most adorkable thing. He's a bountyhunter who sucks at bountyhunting. He's a miserable, epically clumsy, sweetheart who's head over heels for Bryony, and he's too timid and scared to tell her. He tried to take up golf so he could be closer to her (she works at a hotel with a golf course on it or something like that). Gosh, he made this book for me. He's so pathetically cute.

What's great about his clumsiness is that he's not just clumsy when convenient to the plot. He's clumsy 100% of the time. He just can't get a break, and his dejected reaction to himself is hilarious and makes me want to give him a huge hug forever. I've never met such a pathetically adorkable character before. He's great.

Bryony is a little generic--strong-willed, bored with life, dying for adventure. Nothing too outrageously interesting about her, but she's a great contrast to Putta.

The Doctor's characterization was perfect. I've never even watched the Tom Baker episodes, so I know nothing about him, though I've seen a couple clips and heard his voice, and I absolutely heard it as I read his dialogue. I've never done that with a character I've seen on screen and then read the book for. He just matched so perfectly to the image of the scarf-wearing Doctor that I've seen. The "Doctor" vibe was so unique and yet so THE DOCTOR. I feel like I've always known this incarnation. The way he was written was handled masterfully and exuded personality.

This was just a fantastic read. It's light, fluffy, and witty prose was a relaxing and entertaining change of pace after reading the dense beast that was Dune. I'd recommend it to any Doctor Who fan.

5/5 stars